The Duck Thread

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ZakoHero, Jan 17, 2013.

1. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Nice video you have of your baby's and I did not see anything odd at all but try getting some egg's and cook them up and feed the egg's to your ducklings and it will also help them grow big and strong .....

[​IMG]
    Some of my chicks eating scrambled egg's .....

[​IMG]
    One hour old, One day old, One week old and all were eating
    cooked egg's from day one and grow to be big and strong ....

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    What are you feeding them? Basic commercial chick/duck starter should have everything they need. I would not add things unless you are sure they need it.

Where is this heating pad? Not on the floor of the basket I hope.

Too you must know Ducks need a lot of water and are very messy. They should have food and water on demand.

3. WeatheredWings

WeatheredWings Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2014
    Just wanted to give an update on the ducklings. The one passed away last night but the others are doing great. They aren't gasping and they are eating and drinking a ton. Hopefully all will be well now!

4. LittleBlu

LittleBlu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    Oakhurst, Ca

Thanks for keeping me posted! I'm so sorry about your loss. I hope that you're taking all the advice and started doing the things requested? I'm glad the others are well, just be cautious from now on! I hope to see them :)

5. ducklover31

ducklover31 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2013
    ok i checked them this morning and none of them were doing the neck/head jerk thing so thats good but i let them eat the first time and put them back they were fine and sometime later i let them eat again and this time when i put them in the basket and a few minutes later some of them were doing wired things like moving their necks but nothing too bad but not acting normal but about an hour later they were normal again i dont know whats wrong i guess their not developed but ive been keeping an eye on them

6. WeatheredWings

WeatheredWings Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2014
    Absolutely! No more swimming without being dried off! [​IMG]

7. LittleBlu

LittleBlu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    Oakhurst, Ca

Awww!so many! And extremely cute. And no back heat and cold heat and cold

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    They need food with water 24/7.

9. kada6305

kada6305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    So I think our Duck may be going broody? I am not sure. She is not sitting on the eggs yet. Every morning when I go to collect everyone eggs I have to uncover them. I am leaving the Ducks eggs just to see if she is going broody. Once she sits on them I am going to replace them with Chicken eggs. She isn't really hanging with the other Ducks like she usually does and I notice she does get upset when you go near the Coop she doesnt attack but she keeps her mouth open and knd of does a biting action in the air at you...is she going broody??

10. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Could be! They do lay a whole clutch before going broody so she might be building one up for herself. The hanging back from the others and being defensive of the nest site could also be indications that she's thinking about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by