The Duck Thread

Man those ducklings are so cute. I haven't had any luck with hatching any yet. Lost 5 to a goanna most recently. I have 2 muscovies still sitting on 15 eggs though. Anyone had any dealings with moving chicken eggs from out under a duck in n the later stages and replacing them with ducklings? It's day 18 for the chook eggs tomorrow and i have a small incubator inside ready to go. I have no idea what would be the best day to move them and how cranky my duck will get?

I am looking for some ducks for meat that I can put on my pond. I have a 3 acre pond that has lots of good foraging. What is a good breed or breeds.

Pekins grow very fast & are a meat breed and I have read they are the ones mostly in the stores, I kept some thinking I could raise for meat but they are so cute. I sold them last week as I only want to keep Muscovy now for eggs and to sell ducklings.

Great Idea with this thread! We raise Ancona ducks, Indian Runner ducks and Silkie ducks. This year a family of bobcats tore into the silkie duck pen and took all 3 of our drakes and 3 hens leaving us with no drakes so we won't have silkies available this year, however we are getting ducklings from Holderread to replace our lost silkies so either the Fall or next year on them.

Great Pictures, they are beautiful!!!

my little babies swimming today . I use to think I like chicken keeping . unlti I got these little babies now I'd much rather raise ducks :) I found a new passion

So cute, i can't wait till mine have ducklings. My ducks LOVE their dish pan, they sit in it too and bathe. Its so fun to watch them take turns now that they are full size.

Hey does anyone know another great place to order ducklings from besides Metzer? They don't have the breed of duckling available the date that I want.

There are quite a few hatcheries. What are you looking for? I've gotten ducks that came from Ideal before. Just be warned ideal will seed lots of male chicks "for warmth" if you aren't ordeing a full box.

Last edited:
There are quite a few hatcheries. What are you looking for? I've gotten ducks that came from Ideal before. Just be warned ideal will seed lots of male chicks "for warmth" if you aren't ordeing a full box.

I'm looking at getting 3 or 4 pekin and 3 or 4 black Swedish. They have black swedish when I want, but not pekin

Back
Top Bottom