The Duck Thread

Thanks for all the suggestions! The only problem is that they won't let me get close enough to give them treats....
sad.png
However, every once in a while, they absolutely LOVE to drink water from my hand. Sadly, I think it might be a little too late for them; they will probably always be unfriendly and skittish.

-Alexandra33

Thanks for all the suggestions! The only problem is that they won't let me get close enough to give them treats....:(  However, every once in a while, they absolutely LOVE to drink water from my hand. Sadly, I think it might be a little too late for them; they will probably always be unfriendly and skittish.

-Alexandra33

It's healthy for them to be wary. Try sitting near them and just toss a couple treats they like when they are looking, do it whenever you can and after a while they'll come closer and closer and start to expect you =) Don't forget to talk to them ducks are vocal and will start to recognize your voice. Mine will come when I QUACK or talk to them but not to my husband or brother lol

Best of luck to you with your cute ducklings
1f60a.png
I imitate the sounds they make too lol
1f60a.png
I hope you can get them used to you they're such a joy when they bond with you

I didn't know that they hissed! Muscovites sure seem like a fun breed.
Welcome, subscriber friend!
smile.png

Wow, those blue runner ducks are beautiful!
Yep they do. I am thinking of adding a few noisy one's to them. Just not sure what I can put with them. I've heard they can be bullies.

It's healthy for them to be wary. Try sitting near them and just toss a couple treats they like when they are looking, do it whenever you can and after a while they'll come closer and closer and start to expect you =) Don't forget to talk to them ducks are vocal and will start to recognize your voice. Mine will come when I QUACK or talk to them but not to my husband or brother lol
That's a very good idea. Thank you! Hopefully if I continue to work with them, they will eventually warm up to me.

NOTHING DOES WELL IN CONFINEMENT !! People should not get a pet if it cannot feel

Could we please unpack "confinement?"  I have heard different definitions.

Confinement; limited space, not much space to move around..
Although there are situations that a animal needs to be confined..
Illness, injury ect...
I would not want egg's from chickens or duck's that do not have sun, dirt to dig in or bug's..
Cage free means, limited space
Free range means, sun most of the day, dirt, bug's & tree's. :frow wind from clouds, not a fan..

Um about this nothing does well confined, id rather my babies be safe than dead. We don't have a pond at our house but we will be starting them with a kiddie pool and building a small one when we move to the place we are buying. My neighbor has 7 Peking ducks and he uses a kiddie pool with them. These are domesticated ducks not wild ones.

X2 on safty.. We kep our couple indoors in a large Tupperware container. I think for like 3-4 months.. Our rooster let's us know when something fly's over head.. We used a kiddie pool to sometimes. That is all you need. Our duck's don't go into the pond all day.. Our pond is just a horse trough..

Yep we can all have huge ponds on our property but these ducks aren't the same as wild ones. When I move to my own place I'm going to make them a small pond but mine do fine playing in my bath tub and drinking from a pan. And I have predators around my house stray cats, coyotes and they get close to my house, possums so id rather "confine" them to a dog lot and let them out to play supervised, than leave them lose to be killed and eaten or get out in the road and ran over, I've spent a lot of time bonding with my ducklings, they're pets and eggs are an added bonus. I keep my outside dogs in a large lot together instead of letting them roam free. Its for there safety at least they aren't on chains. What's the difference in a dog being in a large lot or ducks and chickens. We are supposed to try to keep them safe and not let them run lose on other peoples property right? I've kept my ducklings in a large storage tub with shavings food and water and they act happy not miserable

There are a ton of preditors, cat don't bother our duck's. I see them come into our yard, but never bother them.. We never let them free range without us being out there.. Ancona's are more visible because of the white, from what's understand.. A friend has a wild bird rescue, she said that the white bird's get taken out by the hawk's so quick.. Anyway.. In our area I have heard of cyotoes but never seen them. We have dog's and they would alert us to them.. We also have grey fox's in the area, but never saw them.. We can build fort Knox for our duck's, but our chicken's they are in a long run with bird netting above.

Back
Top Bottom