The Duck Thread

thinking about adopting these babies can anyone tell me the breed ?
if I adopt these duck I will have to introduce them to my younger flock . what would be the best way to do it ?

if I adopt these duck I will have to introduce them to my younger flock . what would be the best way to do it ?

can you split the area into two for abit so they can see each ohter through the fencing for a bit then once they seem to be getting along that way you could take down the divider and they can be together

You'd probably want to raise the baby separately, at least until he was as big as Quincy. An adult drake can do a lot of damage to a duckling, or even kill it, in a very short time. Have you thought about getting another adult duck? A girl for him?

yes we'd raise it seperately kind of so they could see each other and get to know each other but would not be left alone. and we don't want a girl bc we don't want to breed ducks and we have thought about getting another adult duck but we're not sure

When do ducklings start growing their feathers? I just got 2 pekin ducklings over the weekend and I think they have feathers on their tails. Also it looks like the bigger one has some growing by it's oil gland (that is what the bumps by their tail are called, right?) Sorry, I am new to ducks, but they are very cute, messy little things! :) Also, how can I tell how old they are?

I am trying to integrate my six new five week old ducks with my other four ducks who about seven months old. Each group has one drake and all the rest are female. They are of various breeds. Although it seems the females are willing to be friendly the older drake will not leave them alone and will chase them into a corner. They both have pools. At first that worked but once the older ducks got into the little ones' pool the first time, the little ones don't get to use it very often. At the moment I put a little gate up between the two duck yard areas. It might have worked but, no matter what they say, the Khaki's can fly just fine as can the Rouen/Khaki mix. The Rouen/K at first went through a hole near the gate as did the female Khaki (who I know can fly.) The drake went flying over the fence into the new ducks' area very nicely.
Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get these two groups together without the drake chasing them. I know it natural but I can't say I like it. I did put the little ones in a pen next to the big duck area and didn't put them in the same pen before they acknowledged each other. Due to this problem, I still keep them in separate sides of the duck house. Originally I had planned on taking down the barrier between the areas and let them all in together.
I wouldn't mind putting the older Pekin in with them since she doesn't seem to have any real friends in the older group. Does anyone think that would be a good idea?

Anyone's thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

No matter what they say ... Khakis can fly.

Yvette, the Duck Wrangler

I am trying to integrate my six new five week old ducks with my other four ducks who about seven months old.   Each group has one drake and all the rest are female.   They are of various breeds.    Although it seems the females are willing to be friendly the older drake will not leave them alone and will chase them into a corner.   They both have pools.  At first that worked but once the older ducks got into the little ones' pool the first time, the little ones don't get to use it very often.    At the moment I put a little gate up between the two duck yard areas.    It might have worked but, no matter what they say, the Khaki's can fly just fine as can the Rouen/Khaki mix.   The Rouen/K at first went through a hole near the gate as did the female Khaki (who I know can fly.)   The drake went flying over the fence into the new ducks' area very nicely.  
Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get these two groups together without the drake chasing them.    I know it natural but I can't say I like it.    I did put the little ones in a pen next to the big duck area and didn't put them in the same pen before they acknowledged each other.    Due to this problem, I still keep them in separate sides of the duck house.   Originally I had planned on taking down the barrier between the areas and let them all in together.
I wouldn't mind putting the older Pekin in with them since she doesn't seem to have any real friends in the older group.    Does anyone think that would be a good idea?

Anyone's thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

No matter what they say ... Khakis can fly.

Yvette, the Duck Wrangler
A few places do say KC can fly so I'm not surprised. They are a lightweight duck. Also my ducks can "glide" about 3 ft in the air if they really try but it's more of a jump and flap. However that is neither here nor there. I think your babies are still to young and little. Can you wait till they are 10+ weeks old? That way they will be the same size and it shouldn't be as big of a problem.

Back
Top Bottom