The Duck Thread

:gig
There is always a "get-ta-know-ya" stage.. & I love to hear that your geese stay put.. I hope you tell people that they are highly trained geese..
:lau
Well, how about highly trained human... When they want more food, more treats when they want in the other part of the yard ... They took a class "how to train your human", my dogs taught it!!!!!

goodpost.gif

Agh, how precious!!! Cayuga ??
You are a wonderful mom... And I know how you feel when there is not a %100 hatch rate. Duck don't seem to have a high rate of hatching, it seems
Did you sex her? It is easy if you know how? When you get your other duckling, duckling's ask them if they know how to sex them.. Oh, can't wait to see your new babies.. Keep us posted..
Thank yoou ! :) Yes , Cayuga :)
I am just saying a she for now but i'm not sure. I did read up on it but apparently if done iuncorrectly, it can cause damage?
Should I give it a try??
I will do :) Just hope they get along ok.. xx

@Jessica89 your duckling is adorable! I don't recall what your setup will be when you introduce the new duckie, so bear with me if this is not feasible or a big DUH. After our 2 outgrew their tote, we put them in a large dog kennel, the kind that's wire only. It's meant for puppies that still have growing to do, so it came with a divider. If you have a similar kennel, it may work? (Btw, I will be putting some kind of barrier around the bottom 3-4in next time. Keep shavings, feet and beaks IN the vehicle at all times during the ride!!)

I'm putzing around the kitchen and just saw a cooling rack that's the same size as 1/4in hardware cloth. Maybe something like that would work as a divider you could slide into the tote, box, what have you? Maybe the door off of a plastic dog kennel, artfully placed.....? The clear lid to a smaller tote? As I'm looking around, more household stuff starts to take on new appearances! I feel the full blown crazy duck lady starting to seep through my pores! Lol

Again, adorable little duckie!!!
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
1f60a.png

@Jessica89 your duckling is adorable! I don't recall what your setup will be when you introduce the new duckie, so bear with me if this is not feasible or a big DUH. After our 2 outgrew their tote, we put them in a large dog kennel, the kind that's wire only. It's meant for puppies that still have growing to do, so it came with a divider. If you have a similar kennel, it may work? (Btw, I will be putting some kind of barrier around the bottom 3-4in next time. Keep shavings, feet and beaks IN the vehicle at all times during the ride!!)

I'm putzing around the kitchen and just saw a cooling rack that's the same size as 1/4in hardware cloth. Maybe something like that would work as a divider you could slide into the tote, box, what have you? Maybe the door off of a plastic dog kennel, artfully placed.....? The clear lid to a smaller tote? As I'm looking around, more household stuff starts to take on new appearances! I feel the full blown crazy duck lady starting to seep through my pores! Lol

Again, adorable little duckie!!!
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
Thank you so much. Hahaha. Same here ! My friends think im barking mad. But do you know what? I have had puppies, kittens and baby bunnies but I have received the most love from a duckling. She makes me feel special!

That a brilliant idea. We have a spare dog crate in the shed so could definitely use that. and put wire mesh around it! I hope they get along. I also have 6 adult ducks. I love my duckies <3

@Jessica89 I also wanted to suggest that you have a snuggle of some sort (small stuffed toy, soft wash cloth) in both boxes so that they have something to cuddle with. Then, on the first night, when they are both sleepy/asleep you might try putting them together so they snuggle with each other. I might be they are both so young that they will just bond right away for the company and warmth. Good luck.

I hope so :) I have a stuffed toy in with Winnie so maybe she will be used to snuggling up to something,

Just been looking at vent sexing but too scared to try it on Winnie incase I hurt her (or him!)

I hope so :) I have a stuffed toy in with Winnie so maybe she will be used to snuggling up to something,

Just been looking at vent sexing but too scared to try it on Winnie incase I hurt her (or him!)
I have never vent sexed any of my birds. I am not willing to risk injury to the bird plus I just don't want to perpetrate such an indignity on any of mine. And, in the end, does it really matter. Even if you end up with two males or two females you will love them both the same. If one of them turn out to be male it will be a good excuse for you to get more females and have a nice little flock of 4 or 5 birds.

I all ready have 6 ducks hahah!

It doesn't matter, no.. I will love it either way. If it is a Drake, we are just going to have to put them all in seperate enclosures. My dad is busy building them all now. These ducks have cost of a fortune. Haha. Worth it though :)

Back
Top Bottom