The Duck Thread

Elmer the stuck duck... sorry all. I guess I am not posting correctly and started my own thread, so this is a repeat. I had trouble with my hatch last week. My ducklings appeared to be stuck - I suspect low humidity. The first one was literally glued to the floor of the incubator. With warm water mist and patience (had to come by) he was freed and continued to hatch on his own - was most of the way out when stuck. The rest of the crew did not emerge without help - the first one that evening and the rest the next day. While this guy seemed fine at first he is now SO much smaller than the rest. and quieter. He does eat and drink, but not as much as his friends. I have Poly Vi Sol but he will not accept it. He is the least friendly/handleable of the 6. This morning he was trapped on his back in the shavings. They get greens and he does eat some. Can you force Poly Vi Sol? Any ideas? please? anyone? This is Elmer with the next born - Jumbo - so you can appreciate the size difference. He also now seems to have a bit of a hard time getting around. IDK if it's lameness or just weakness, but he sure can yell and still drinking and eating. only what HE wants.
So cute. Miss Lydia and Amiga are amazing resources.

I am looking for a more permanent place for my flock of ducks, we let them out when we are home to free range, but the Hawk in the area prevents that all the time....since they can really destroy the area they stay in for even a day or two in their tractor, this is becoming necessary.... The corner of the yard I want to use has some kind of ivy/ground cover anyone know if that will hurt the ducks/ can they eat it, basically is there any vegetation that could hurt them.... or should I remove it all first.....sigh....there are ten ducks, soon to be about 4, but I still need something more permanent...

Fresh water in gordie And pipers pool.. Not even hour later looks murky
1f602.png
gotta love them

Thanks guys! She is the most amazing little duckie in the world ! Still waiting to here when some eggs have hatched so we can get her that friend ! Xx

@Jessica89 - extremely adorable!!

@alscatS - good question re: ivy & such. In my limited experience, ducklings are similar to toddlers. Everything goes in the mouth, but at least the ducklings seems to spit out everything that doesn't appeal to their taste buds. I would think, then, that no removing of vegetation would be needed.

@OldMissionChick - we have a kiddie pool & my boyfriend cut a round hole in it & installed a kitchen drain. It's awesome! No more bucketing or lifting to drain it.

@Km00re21 - very cute babies you've got there!

Hope you're all having a great, ducky day!! TGIF!!!
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom