The Duck Thread

I have a week old duckling I'm concerned about. I've had it since the day it hatched. I noticed last night it seems to have pasty butt. (sorry if this is too detailed) when it pooped it was pretty clear and kinda oozed out. I raised 5 ducklings before I was given this one without any problems. It was given to me because its siblings are a day or 2 older and mom wasn't tending to it and it took it 2 days to start walking.
is there anything I should give it to help it? I'm feeding it un medicated feed and it has 2 water sources and 2 stuffed ducks to keep it company. I'm pretty attached to the little one and very worried

I have a week old duckling I'm concerned about. I've had it since the day it hatched. I noticed last night it seems to have pasty butt. (sorry if this is too detailed) when it pooped it was pretty clear and kinda oozed out. I raised 5 ducklings before I was given this one without any problems. It was given to me because its siblings are a day or 2 older and mom wasn't tending to it and it took it 2 days to start walking.
is there anything I should give it to help it? I'm feeding it un medicated feed and it has 2 water sources and 2 stuffed ducks to keep it company. I'm pretty attached to the little one and very worried
Did you take warm water and a wash cloth or cotton ball and clean it's bottom. Is it eating good?

I would first let the little one have some time in 80F water up to his or her belly, clean off the pasty stuff.

A good duck vet is best, and not possible for many of us. Is there a rank odor to the stool?

We have cleaned it twice now, and yes the poop smells bad. Its not eating now. Its bill looks pale. My neighbor gave it to me the day it hatched. It didn't walk for 2 days then perked up and seemed great but now has suddenly dropped off. I added nutridrench and electrolytes to its water today and tried giving it some moist food but it won't eat. I have some antibiotic powder but I'm not sure if ducks can even have this antibiotic since they cant have medicated feed

Hi everyone
im kinda new to ducks and chickens just moved to the country and have 3 (1being a drake) ducks, 10 chickens 3 roosters, which all live together in the same extra large pen.

i have a small problem well im not sure if its a problem byt i have over 10 nesting boxs and the chickens have all clamed 1 small nesting box.

I currently have 3 hens and 1 duck laying eggs all together in the same box? But they are all fertile eggs and duck eggs
and 1 hen that is going broody well 1 that i know of.

Is this common?
What should i do?
how will this work out if all 3 hens and the duck go broody in the same nesting box lol ....

Please help me understand it :)

Last edited:
ducks take an extra week so it may or may not go well for the duck eggs to hatch as when the chicks hatch all the moms may get up and leave and then the growing ducklings would perish if no one is still sitting on the nest for another week. if you can give the duck that is broody just duck eggs that would be best

Hi everyone
im kinda new to ducks and chickens just moved to the country and have 3 (1being a drake) ducks, 10 chickens 3 roosters, which all live together in the same extra large pen.

i have a small problem well im not sure if its a problem byt i have over 10 nesting boxs and the chickens have all clamed 1 small nesting box.

I currently have 3 hens and 1 duck laying eggs all together in the same box? But they are all fertile eggs and duck eggs
and 1 hen that is going broody well 1 that i know of.

Is this common?
What should i do?
how will this work out if all 3 hens and the duck go broody in the same nesting box lol ....

Please help me understand it
smile.png
ducks take an extra week so it may or may not go well for the duck eggs to hatch as when the chicks hatch all the moms may get up and leave and then the growing ducklings would perish if no one is still sitting on the nest for another week. if you can give the duck that is broody just duck eggs that would be best

my 4 new ducklings should be here in the morning! got one each black, blue, chocolate and fawn and white runners all female from Metzer Farms....i'm so excited about future blue duck eggs!

Back
Top Bottom