The Duck Thread

Question: I had just put 16 my Juvenal eggs chicken out side with hopes two eggs. But now I starting to think it might be to much. If they went into another nesting box she wouldn't care for them. She only one female. I need to know so I can pull them before they sit there to long.

Question: I had just put 16 my Juvenal eggs chicken out side with hopes two eggs. But now I starting to think it might be to much. If they went into another nesting box she wouldn't care for them. She only one female. I need to know so I can pull them before they sit there to long.

Ducks can sit on lots of eggs, but she'll have a better chance of only having to sit on a few. Maybe 10 or so. Plus, be careful she doesn't abandon the duck eggs when all the chickens hatch first.... Is she a first time mom? They can be a little crazy!

No it will be her frist litter with us. We only have had her two weeks come Sunday .in previous owners house. They had lots of ducks and chickens I believe in one area. But there where many mothers to help out.

As funny as this may sound, have any of you duck experts ever had a "Slovenly Duck"? I don't just mean a messmaker (all ducks are rather messy, after all
smile.png
), but VERY low personal hygiene. Celine, one of our two Mallard girls, fits into this weird category when her 8 duckmates have extremely clean, soft feathers. I would describe hers as crispy, crunchy, and matted to the touch.
sickbyc.gif
But the strangest thing is that she hasn't always been like this, since there was a time in the past when she was quite lovely. Any idea what might be causing this? I haven't looked her over for mites or lice yet, so I was wondering if that might have anything to do with it. Another thing I'll add is that Celine is pretty slow and lazy these days, while everyone else is eating up this nice heatwave.

For contrast, here's Sapphira, the other girl. Pretty as can be!

.......And how Celine USED to look.

Thanks so much!
-Alex

As funny as this may sound, have any of you duck experts ever had a "Slovenly Duck"? I don't just mean a messmaker (all ducks are rather messy, after all :) ), but VERY low personal hygiene. Celine, one of our two Mallard girls, fits into this weird category when her 8 duckmates have extremely clean, soft feathers. I would describe hers as crispy, crunchy, and matted to the touch. :sick But the strangest thing is that she hasn't always been like this, since there was a time in the past when she was quite lovely. Any idea what might be causing this? I haven't looked her over for mites or lice yet, so I was wondering if that might have anything to do with it. Another thing I'll add is that Celine is pretty slow and lazy these days, while everyone else is eating up this nice heatwave. For contrast, here's Sapphira, the other girl. Pretty as can be! .......And how Celine USED to look. Thanks so much! -Alex
Did she molt this year? All but 2 of my ducks molted this year and there is a stark difference between them. They are all healthy but the crispy feathered girls really need to molt! They look rough.

A quick hello from our new addition Leia, I am smitten and surprisingly Luda has been quite friendly. Will definitely be supervised interaction until she is bigger and I trust them both to play fair. Thank you for all the advice I can breathe again @AimToMisbehave@needlessjunk@Miss Lydia

Last edited:
A quick hello from our new addition Leia, I am smitten and surprisingly Luda has been quite friendly. Will definitely be supervised interaction until she is bigger and I trust them both to play fair. Thank you for all the advice I can breathe again @AimToMisbehave @needlessjunk @Miss Lydia

What a beauty and a treasure. She is stunning.

As funny as this may sound, have any of you duck experts ever had a "Slovenly Duck"? I don't just mean a messmaker (all ducks are rather messy, after all :) ), but VERY low personal hygiene. Celine, one of our two Mallard girls, fits into this weird category when her 8 duckmates have extremely clean, soft feathers. I would describe hers as crispy, crunchy, and matted to the touch. :sick But the strangest thing is that she hasn't always been like this, since there was a time in the past when she was quite lovely. Any idea what might be causing this? I haven't looked her over for mites or lice yet, so I was wondering if that might have anything to do with it. Another thing I'll add is that Celine is pretty slow and lazy these days, while everyone else is eating up this nice heatwave. For contrast, here's Sapphira, the other girl. Pretty as can be! .......And how Celine USED to look. Thanks so much! -Alex
One of my drakes is the same way! He doesn't appear to have any health problems, he's just super scroungey ALL the time!

Back
Top Bottom