The Duck Thread

I'm a little bit worried now...we checked our tracking for the babies. They shipped yesterday and now it is saying they won't be here until thursday. That doesn't seem right.

Mine did something similar but they arrived within two days of shipping. Very rarely do they get to you after the second day. If however they don't get to you until that third day I'd be sure to make sure they have some boiled eggs crumbled into their food and plenty of water once they get to your house.

Advice needed!

We are on day 26 of incubation. We candled the eggs by light last week and could see active movement in all of the remaining eggs. 2 days ago, we even saw 2 rocking back and forth slightly in the incubator. But nothing since then. There have been no pips that we can see. Some of the eggs now have clear markings either where the air sac is or along the side. They kind of look like beak marks. This is our first time hatching duck eggs. Any advice/help is appreciated.
welcome-byc.gif

it usually takes 28 days for ducks also make sure the shells are moist because dry eggs are very bad news. Also keep in mind it is a ton of work to get out of those eggs so it will take a good amount of time because they will stop to rest. Also they are probably just getting into position for pipping.

Last edited:
Mine did something similar but they arrived within two days of shipping. Very rarely do they get to you after the second day. If however they don't get to you until that third day I'd be sure to make sure they have some boiled eggs crumbled into their food and plenty of water once they get to your house.
Thanks, I will do that for sure if they are late. The OH is on the phone with the post office trying to figure out when they will get here and trying to stop them at the post office before ours (its about 25 minutes away but would emliminate them sitting at ours outside for 2 hours before anybody even get there!).

Chick and duckling update: Below is how the brooder looked on Saturday before we put them outside. We had to put them out because all the dust they kicked up started getting my asthma going pretty bad.

This is Eggos. I'm pretty sure she is a Pekin, despitetc being in a tub full of runners at the feed store. And I'm fairly positive she is female, so yay, I have a Pekin again :)

This is the other duckling, also female. She is fawn/white runner for sure.

Broken wing chick finally getting his feathers. He's pretty late in development compared to the others.

This is Gobbles, the one chicken I really like. She's so incredibly nice and calm.I don't care much for chickens, but I like her.

I'm starting to be able to tell the cockerels from the pullets. This barred is looking very male-ish

Last edited:
Chick and duckling update: Below is how the brooder looked on Saturday before we put them outside. We had to put them out because all the dust they kicked up started getting my asthma going pretty bad.

This is Eggos. I'm pretty sure she is a Pekin, despitetc being in a tub full of runners at the feed store. And I'm fairly positive she is female, so yay, I have a Pekin again
smile.png

This is the other duckling, also female. She is fawn/white runner for sure.

Broken wing chick finally getting his feathers. He's pretty late in development compared to the others.

This is Gobbles, the one chicken I really like. She's so incredibly nice and calm.I don't care much for chickens, but I like her.

I'm starting to be able to tell the cockerels from the pullets. This barred is looking very male-ish

Omg so cute! I love duckling and chicks
love.gif
Also your barred is a cockerel.

Ok! Thanks. Do they get bigger more blue/darkish veins towards the end? Or is that waste material? We were seeing that at the bottom of the eggs last week. I couldn't find much on it.

Back
Top Bottom