The Duck Thread

Generally, for egg binding, the calcium uptake needs to be increased. Short-term, that could mean dissolving a 250 mg calcium citrate tablet, and giving half that twice a day for a couple of days, then adding 50 to 100 (I often go with 80) mg calcium citrate extra per day. This is in addition to layer feed and free choice oyster shell.

A nice long float in lukewarm water (80F or so) - for about an hour - sometimes helps them relax and let go of the egg.

There are times when it's more complicated - not just one egg, or due to oviduct problems. Then help is needed from a vet or someone with some really good skills and experience.

Also, when a duck seems off, it could mean there is a systemic infection - and that needs to be treated right away.

Help!! My sweet blue drake has a hole in his beak! I noticed it a week ago but it was crusted over so I thought maybe it was healing on its own but I looked today and the picture above is what I found. He is still eating and drinking but I really concerned. Will it heal up and grow on its own? It appears to have a small crack as well I don't know if my dog bit him or if it was from being bullied by another chicks (doubtful) or rubbing against the fence. I never noticed any blood. Any advice is appreciated he means a lot to me.

Looks like the hole goes all the way through... I would try to keep it as clean as you can... other than that, I'm not sure what you can do for it... haven't had any injuries like that...

@Amiga got any suggestions for this one??

Looks like the hole goes all the way through... I would try to keep it as clean as you can... other than that, I'm not sure what you can do for it... haven't had any injuries like that...

@Amiga got any suggestions for this one??

I may have responded to this on another thread (about duck feed, perhaps?)

Initially I would treat to prevent infection. I was wondering - so I will share here - if comfrey salve might help heal it. It is said to help bones knit... and German research indicates it does help stimulate the growth of healthy cells.

I may have responded to this on another thread (about duck feed, perhaps?)

Initially I would treat to prevent infection.  I was wondering - so I will share here - if comfrey salve might help heal it.  It is said to help bones knit... and German research indicates it does help stimulate the growth of healthy cells.

That's a good idea to try... my other concern was wether ot not it should be sealed over somehow? Usually I support keeping clean and airing out wounds to heal, but being through the bill I'd be worried about wet food and debris getting packed and causing infection... ???

Hi!! I am new to owning ducks...I have 3 currently that are just about 2 months. I have a Pekin, a Roen and a black Indian Runner. I've seen some other posts where other duck owners say they have toys for their ducks and I wondered if anyone can give me some ideas of what toys would be good for ducks. Mine are big and healthy but just like human toddlers, my feathered babies like to put everything in their mouth so I want to make sure I don't get anything that is a choking hazard or contains parts that can fall off. Thanks for any ideas!!

How can I build a good coop that protects the ducks from predators?

This is an idea for a purchase...I looked into building my own coop for my 3 ducks and 3 chickens but I did a ton of research and I ended up buying a Formex Snap and Lock coop...the large one. It is a bit pricey but will last a long long time. It reminds me of a Little Tikes play house for kids as its all sturdy plastic and is super easy to put together and it is completely weather and predator proof. There are latches with carabiner clips that lock all openings tight so no one can get in. This coop is very easy to clean and can even be sprayed down and washed. The large model that I have has 4 nest boxes and it also comes with 3 roost bars that are adjustable to different heights. There are vents that slide open/closed and during sunny days the roofs can be propped up to let sun in. I live in MI and already this May we've had a ton of rain, storms and even today high winds and snow but the coop remains completely dry and warm. The base of the coop can be put on a stand if you wish to elevate it but the base already is quite a few inches off the ground. Even tho building might be cheaper, this coop will last a lot longer than anything I could have built. Just a thought if you're open to buying.

Well went out to eggs today to had stuff leaking out. One all yolk and the other one had a little duck in it that had died in the shell it looked like it was very early stage but not as early as the other one I saw. So yes they our fertal just have to figure out why it's premature death.
I not a hatching expert, but are the eggs dirty? I know that can cause problems. Hope you can figure this out!

Btw, I love your rabbits!

Back
Top Bottom