The Duck Thread

What kind of oil got on him?  What did you use to remove the oil?

When feathers are damaged, sometimes the only thing to fix it is a good molt.  So, keep watch, keep him warm enough, fed well, I would add a tablespoon of good quality dry cat kibble to his diet daily, and if you feel it is warranted, and possible, have a good duck vet check him over.

Also check his preen gland.  It may have become injured somehow in all this.  If so, dab a tiny bit of olive oil on it and massage it in.

Thank you so much for this tips and I'm not sure what kind of oil he got into, we used dawn soap and vinegar as we Called a wildlife vet and they recommend we use those two. And I have been giving him so dry cat food and his "girlfriend" Minnie they go crazy for it. How would I check the preen gland? Is it suppose to have a certain look?
Thank you again!

Thank you so much for this tips and I'm not sure what kind of oil he got into, we used dawn soap and vinegar as we Called a wildlife vet and they recommend we use those two. And I have been giving him so dry cat food and his "girlfriend" Minnie they go crazy for it. How would I check the preen gland? Is it suppose to have a certain look?
Thank you again!
Lift the feathers on the backside at the base of the tail. It should have a healthy, oily look. Not red or irritated looking.
images

I have to 2 more due at any time now there moving the egg for 3 days now. I'm so excited, this was my first time doing the incubator.
Look forward to seeing the next ones too and lil friends for your tiny one that is already here. Thanks for sharing it with us. Sounds like your first time is
thumbsup.gif

We have a large dog house in our duck coop, our mallard and welshie girls each have a "nest" in each corner. With it getting cooler at night our pekin drake has been in there every morning "sitting" on one of the nests. Will him sitting on the nest affect the eggs? We are really hoping for our girls to start sitting...

Also our pekin takes up about half the house with his big butt, we have a welshie and 2 mallards as well. Do we need a bigger house for them or more housing? I haven't seen all 4 of them in there at one time...

Back
Top Bottom