The Duck Thread

I use a stack of flat rocks for both inside and outside the 12 inch tall goat water tank we use for the duck pool. Easy to put in and take out for cleaning day.

The pool is now permanent and about 2 1/2 ft deep so it would take multiple cinder blocks to get it high enough for the babies and i need to be able to take it out at night for my resident mallard couple to sleep in the pool at night without hitting anything

I had brewers yeast here and I completely forgot to tell hubby to add it. By a week old could not having it kill them? Or is it more likely that a dirty brooder caused her to die? Or just randomness. My husband lost one east Indie while I was gone but it was the day after shipping so I attributed it to that. Storm was fine until this morning apparently running around with the rest. My 3 remaining EI seem great. Running, jumping, eating, drinking, pooping, and sleeping but now I'm worried. I completely emptied out brooder, disinfected it and everything in it. I'm going to be a nervous wreck now watching the babies I have left. Out of the 12 chicks I got with the ducks all are healthy save one that my hubby thinks drowned. Even though I had the marbles in. Wanted to watch the ducklings swim a little bit tonight but now I don't know if I should risk them getting a chill. Hubby feels horrible.

I had brewers yeast here and I completely forgot to tell hubby to add it. By a week old could not having it kill them? Or is it more likely that a dirty brooder caused her to die? Or just randomness. My husband lost one east Indie while I was gone but it was the day after shipping so I attributed it to that. Storm was fine until this morning apparently running around with the rest. My 3 remaining EI seem great. Running, jumping, eating, drinking, pooping, and sleeping but now I'm worried. I completely emptied out brooder, disinfected it and everything in it. I'm going to be a nervous wreck now watching the babies I have left. Out of the 12 chicks I got with the ducks all are healthy save one that my hubby thinks drowned. Even though I had the marbles in. Wanted to watch the ducklings swim a little bit tonight but now I don't know if I should risk them getting a chill. Hubby feels horrible.
I am so sorry about your losses. I'd give it a few more days before letting the ducklings swim just to be on the safe side.

I guess its been less then 3 hours since I got home so anything I've done would probably take a little more timr?

Edit. Nevermind she just died ):

No words could say how sorry I am. I have had my brooder get extremely dirty at times when my husband was rushed to a hospital 2 hours away. I would think there was a neurological issue she was born with.
Linda

Help!!! We have had two ducklings for a while. We have brooded them to temp and they are old enough to be outside. In our backyard we have shelter, food, and a lake for them to enjoy. This is their first night outside alone we stayed with them by the lake for several hours and they know where the lake and shelter is. However when we went back to the house for the night about an hour passed and they made their way back to the house. They didn't see us come back to the house but managed to find their way back to The porch what do we do? Will they figure it out and head back down. Should we let them
Back inside? Confused and concerned

Edit. Headed back down to the lake they found their own way back down, threw together a coop for tonight will let them back out in the morning.

Last edited:
Big Mama is an over achiever. Not only is she raising 7 ducklings but she started laying again about a week ago and not only is she laying she has to lay the biggest egg too. That crazy duck. :rolleyes:

Two weeks old.

Her egg is on the far left.

Back
Top Bottom