The Duck Thread

I can't even handle how cute ducklings are!

Still trying to figure out names for these shiny green beautiful birds!
Oh, look at the adorable little love fluffs.

right now i have two blue Swedish ducklings, and wondering are the females good parents (are they good at going broody?) kinda hoping for a male and female.

Last edited:
I would like plants they won't eat & I am setting them up a garden, just for them. All duck & geese treats, but it will be closed of most of the time & I will let them in to splurge once a week or so. I am in hardy zones 4-6b. What about in your run? Are you able to keep grass cover or is it not worth laying sod if they are just going to demolish it lol. I am building a huge run, I can't figure out what to cover the ground with. Right now it is that really light dusty dirt, I know will turn into a muddied mess, so I need to figure out an alternative. They will have a small pond in their run & a large pond outside of it when they free range (only when I'm home) I was thinking fine pea gravel around the pond area, I don't know what to do with the rest of the run. I've read about doing it all pea gravel, but fear about bumble foot... was.thinking sand, but with 6 ducks & 3 geese, I don't think I'll be able to keep it clean! Any suggestions? If I lay sod in their run, will they demolish it quicker than it can keep up? Do you have any experience with pea gravel? What ground cover is easiest for the run?

I would like plants they won't eat & I am setting them up a garden, just for them. All duck & geese treats, but it will be closed of most of the time & I will let them in to splurge once a week or so. I am in hardy zones 4-6b. What about in your run? Are you able to keep grass cover or is it not worth laying sod if they are just going to demolish it lol. I am building a huge run, I can't figure out what to cover the ground with. Right now it is that really light dusty dirt, I know will turn into a muddied mess, so I need to figure out an alternative. They will have a small pond in their run & a large pond outside of it when they free range (only when I'm home) I was thinking fine pea gravel around the pond area, I don't know what to do with the rest of the run. I've read about doing it all pea gravel, but fear about bumble foot... was.thinking sand, but with 6 ducks & 3 geese, I don't think I'll be able to keep it clean! Any suggestions? If I lay sod in their run, will they demolish it quicker than it can keep up? Do you have any experience with pea gravel? What ground cover is easiest for the run?
@Tevyes Dad Lives in Montana maybe he can shed some light on what is best in your climate.

So as of yesterday (possibly Tue) Venus (black pied Muscovy) has been in the culvert on her nest non stop other than a trip out to eat! Can I start a count down?!? I have no idea how many eggs she has hiding in there. She did push one out. I can see it laying off to the side. Its her first time. Not sure if first timers normally do okay. Never thought I'd be this nervous for a duck lol. Shes such a sweetheart.

I have been on the road quite a bit, lately so my time for online BYC has been limited. Plus I am using my laptop on the go so am using the pad on the keyboard for a mouse
hmm.png
So many of you have posted wonderful pics of your broods this year. And I have enjoyed seeing all of them so I am just going to put these out to cover the last couple weeks where I may not have gotten a chance to reply individually...

love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

love.gif

Last edited:
So as of yesterday (possibly Tue) Venus (black pied Muscovy) has been in the culvert on her nest non stop other than a trip out to eat! Can I start a count down?!? I have no idea how many eggs she has hiding in there. She did push one out. I can see it laying off to the side. Its her first time. Not sure if first timers normally do okay. Never thought I'd be this nervous for a duck lol. Shes such a sweetheart.
Yep sounds like you have yourself a broody!! [she knew what she was doing getting away from us humans no interference from the peanut gallery] lol

Back
Top Bottom