The Duck Thread

19866561_10212201145098116_898939484_n.jpg
not sure if this is a male or female? I don't see a curl on the tail but the other male ducks and our rooster try to mate with it

Question (again) how long should I wait to collect my ducks eggs if the male is definitely mounting the females? Normally we do a daily egg sweep due to having the 3 ducks and 2 chickens, but we'd love to have babies eventually.

It's been a few weeks since I posted last. Looks like folks have some real pretty ducklings!
I put the 7 week olds (born May 21-23) in their temporary day pen so they could enjoy a bigger pen and a small tub for bathing.
There are four Cayuga cross ducklings. The yellow ducklings that I bought have turned into a Giant Pekin, two regular Pekin and a Saxony (Ravyn was right!) So far I'm not seeing male behavior or drake curls. They are a very talkative group!
Cleome and ducks 005.JPG Cleome and ducks 009.JPG Cleome and ducks 016.JPG

The older 10 that were born the end of April are now in a 20 x 40 pen with a swimming pool and they coop with 11 juvenile Wyandotte and two mother hens. They all go to coop together at night by themselves and I close the 2 x 4 inch wire screen door while checking the pens and closing up for the night. Three of these have the cutest crests. These now appear to all be females...don't know how that happened!

Morris, Mattie and Maggie (the parent ducks) are still in their own coop in the garden.

So I have a girl coming today that just "wants a cute little duck to add to their family. Dont care about sex, breed, or color. Just the youngest I have"... Ive been trying to get an idea if she has other ducks or birds and I dont think she does. I should try to send her with two right? I know to each their own but I feel like I should try to explain how to have a happy duck. I have the two ck crosses that are bonded like crazy that would probably be a good fit. Idk. Do you guys put your nose in when selling?

Back
Top Bottom