The ducks are coming! They're here!

mandelyn

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 30, 2009
Mt Repose, OH
My Coop
My Coop
Got my email!! YES! Finally! Crazy, I thought it was going to be a flop, I didn't know they send the email that late at night! Then remembered... they're on Pacific time. I stayed up till midnight watching my email!

Now I only need to get through today. I shot out of bed this morning at quarter after 6 on my own, first waking thought of "Duuckiiiies...."... "OMG DUCKS!" *zoom*

And there it was, the long awaited Holderread email. Now I just need to wait out the phone call from the post office, 35 minutes until I can call them and remind them to keep watch.

Then all I need to do is figure out gender and pick the 5 I'm keeping. I need some duckling love after the catastrophic Maran hatch from this last weekend.

Last edited:
pop.gif

They're here!! The post office employees were about as excited as I was, they all gathered around while I opened the box even though customers were waiting!
lol.png

New brooder built just for them, has a wire bottom so that later when they don't need the towels, the mess falls into that handy tub underneath.

P1050723.jpg

Need to do a different watering system for this week, this is no good! I forgot they're ducks and will day in too early...

P1050728.jpg

They eat well, 5 minutes out of the box!

P1050724.jpg

P1050725.jpg

10 of what I ordered, no extras
sad.png
(I was secretly hoping for bonus ducks) TSQ Saxony.

They're so active! As soon as I'd set one down in the brooder it shot off. They're curious about me, not afraid. Yay! I'm SSSOOO relieved they're finally here and in one piece.

Quote:
They look great and I love the brooder idea. I would like to get some Saxony ducklings next year. I missed out this year.

I made it in to order by the skin of my teeth. The brooder idea came from my big learning experience with a solid bottom brooder and 5 ducklings. I was thinking... take that, times 2... OMG, need a better way.
lol.png
The towel area will shrink each week until it's just a napping spot under the light. Right now with how little they are it's all towels.

I covered the watering container bottom to limit their access, beak only, no swimming! Then twice a day I'll uncover it for nose cleaning. Can't get over how perky and friendly they are after such a big trip!

Next year I'll order more and some Butterscotch call ducks if I can't get a small flock going before ordering time. Really curious about gender on these guys, that's my last worry. A whole month of "When will they get here? Will they get there ok?"... now it's just "How many boys did I get stuck with?"

Quote:
Just thought I would say something. All breeders in the US are haveing troubles to get ducklings and goslings to hatch, I was told Holderreads are flooded in orders and not enough ducklings/goslings hatching out.

Back
Top Bottom