The EE braggers thread!!!

Sorry
hide.gif
colored egg... it that better
lau.gif
I just read that someone would only buy the blue, blue/green eggs at the farmers market cuz she just loved them so much. Now she has chickens to get her fix of colored egg.

Lol... ok, so I potentially could cross them and get colored egg layers...
Here are 2 of the girls...one lays blue( and promptly eats it
barnie.gif
) and the other lays green

Here are two others...they both lay light green

Here's the roo...a bit younger in this pick...

Lol... ok, so I potentially could cross them and get colored egg layers...
Here are 2 of the girls...one lays blue( and promptly eats it
barnie.gif
) and the other lays green

Here are two others...they both lay light green

Here's the roo...a bit younger in this pick...

My guess is yes you will get colored eggs.

I word of warning... the egg eater will teach the others to do that. You need to do something to stop her. You can make a roll away nest box, so she can't get to the eggs or you may have to just cull her. I was told there is no cure for that and culling is the only fix. BUT really she will teach the other and then you will have a big problem. This is not a problem I have had yet. I have had a couple of egg that got cracked and they eat them before I could get them out. But no one unintentionally breaking eggs.

I think I'm gonna separate her and try to collect some of her eggs...hatch em and replace her. She is the only one that lays a BLUE egg...
barnie.gif

Sorry to hear that she is eating her eggs! I think the best bet is to separate her like you said and hatch out some of her offspring! Best of luck in hatching. :) Hope you get some blue eggers from her!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that she is eating her eggs! I think the best bet is to separate her like you said and hatch out some of her offspring! Best of luck in hatching. :) Hope you get some blue eggers from her!

Thank you...it's the gold colored EE that is doing it. I call her Chicklet...I'll miss her but I can't have her teaching that trick! She's being separated tonight.

I had some new layers that broke an eggs and started to eat it, I got it out as quickly as I could and promptly put in some ceramic eggs and they don't even make a try to get the eggs any more... now if I could just get them to lay in the nest box
th.gif
Anybody got a fix for that? I have some leghorns that lay all over to. They have never been around any other layers so they have never learned that skill.... I thought it just came naturally... guess not.
hmm.png

How long has your EE hen been eating eggs? The sooner you act, the more likely you can stop it. I have only had the problem one time but I "fixed" it. I did the same as DMRippy. I collected eggs lots of times a day, put fake eggs (white wooden eggs and golf balls) in the nests and made sure to clean up any egg that was cracked, pecked, or dropped. I would still find eggs with beak tip sized holes (but not big enough to eat from) for about a year but finally it stopped. I was never sure which hen it was, so you have an advantage. Separate her long term if you want to try to rehab her. But make sure that she can't teach the others how delicious eggs taste. You may also want to up your protein in the hen's diet. The goal is to redirect her drive to eat yummy eggs by 1) giving her other treats that are high in protein 2) making the (fake)eggs too hard to crack thereby convincing her that it won't work anymore and 3) keeping the other hens from learning to eat the eggs too. Now if I drop an egg or one is cracked in the nest, I clean up every drop so that they are not reminded how good they taste! The only eggs my hens get to eat are scambled.

How long has your EE hen been eating eggs? The sooner you act, the more likely you can stop it. I have only had the problem one time but I "fixed" it. I did the same as DMRippy. I collected eggs lots of times a day, put fake eggs (white wooden eggs and golf balls) in the nests and made sure to clean up any egg that was cracked, pecked, or dropped. I would still find eggs with beak tip sized holes (but not big enough to eat from) for about a year but finally it stopped. I was never sure which hen it was, so you have an advantage. Separate her long term if you want to try to rehab her. But make sure that she can't teach the others how delicious eggs taste. You may also want to up your protein in the hen's diet. The goal is to redirect her drive to eat yummy eggs by 1) giving her other treats that are high in protein 2) making the (fake)eggs too hard to crack thereby convincing her that it won't work anymore and 3) keeping the other hens from learning to eat the eggs too. Now if I drop an egg or one is cracked in the nest, I clean up every drop so that they are not reminded how good they taste! The only eggs my hens get to eat are scambled.

goodpost.gif

She might have been eating them for quite some time...I think she taught my AS to do it too. I just need to get some more golf balls and put them in again. It's my own fault for not collecting early enough....so I'm going to try to rehab her...and hatch some of her eggs.
The protein they get should be sufficient I think,.The layer pellets of course are 16%, then they get BOSS every day.I also scramble eggs a couple times a week.(broken or cracked eggs).
I can't even tell you how many scraps they get....a lot. veggies, fruits...small amount of breads...

Just wanted to share a pic of my EE bantam family. The little rooster will sit on the chicks at night rite next to the hen
lau.gif
I just cant seem to get a picture of it yet
hide.gif
. The babies are 3 weeks old now.

Back
Top Bottom