The EE braggers thread!!!

I am just curious as I am new to chickens and know nothing of genetics. But if the hen is single comb with no beard/muff is she destined to lay brown eggs or are they not directly linked??

It really depends on the genetics behind the EE... if you made yours with a true Ameraucana, you know you're getting a colored layer no matter what the comb looks like. If you made one with a single combed pure colored layer (like an Isbar or Cream Legbar), you'll get a colored layer that will most likely have a single comb. If you're getting an EE from a hatchery and don't know what the actual cross was the made your chick, you are kind of playing the colored egg lottery... seeing a pea comb would definitely up the odds that you see a colored egg, but it's not a lock.

Aren't genetics fascinating? I love all the possibilities!

termerick She is very pretty, lovely pattern. Cheeka and Draye enjoyed your pictures also. I hope to manage a few hatches after a big relocation/move. UGH

How far down in Il. are ya we are in NE Wis, but we get down to Janesville area a couple times a year when we go to Iowa to get the kids for the summer early summer end of May.
I'll be hatching chicks from March to May, if a meet up would work I could bring you some cuties on our way down..............Kim

I am down by Bloomington Il.

Possible. The no beard and muff soen't mean a brown egg though. It is only the peacomb that is tied into the blue/green egg gene. That doesn't mean though that a single comb won't lay a green egg, but a very slim chance that she will.
And, not all bearded and muffed pea combed hens will lay a colored egg! Mine lays a light brown pinkish egg!

I just noticed today that my 1 week old EE is developing a cross beak
sad.png

I've only just realized my chicken is an EE! The farm coop sold her as an Ameraucana chick, and being new to chickens, I had no idea there was a difference between the two. Actually quite proud she doesn't fall into the purebred breed - I think she's prettier than a lot of Ameraucanas.
big_smile.png

NO JOKE!!! EE's are much prettier colored and the owners are much nicer. I got blessed out on the Americauna page for posting a picture of my first chickens I had had for all of three weeks. I was told they were Americaunas when they were given to me. Some one said "What kind of bird do you think this is???" When I posted a picture of a cockerel I was going to give a girl in the same state who said she had lost her Rooster. Since then I have traded the cockerels for hens and one looks like it could be your pretty girls twin. She is so sweet. We have only had her for 2 days and she will let us pick her up and eat out of our hand. Now I'm just waiting on her to lay. I saw when you posted this picture over there and I thought I hope they are nicer to her than me. I believe I may have given you this link that some one was so kind to give me as well.

Back
Top Bottom