The EE braggers thread!!!

I wish it could be something this simple in our case, but I've been wearing the same white rainboots forever. And, our roo attacks my handyman and our petsitter as well. Anyone who develops a relationship with the hens becomes a threat to him. Well, a friend here in town who urban homesteads is going to take my roo because he actually wants a very aggressive rooster for his new flock. I'm so glad I remembered to talk to him about my problem.

My next problem is to decide whether I want to get another roo in the hopes he will be gentle, or forego rooster entirely. I was really loving having the full flock experience until the rooster started drawing blood. As my friend Ken said, it's just his genetics, he's just doing what he is meant to do, and yeah, I know that, but still.... I can't be afraid of my backyard. I'm a super sensitive person and my preference is that my chickens all die of old age, so this is REALLY hard for me, the whole thing. Fortunately, he will have another chance with a new flock.

Rats. Well, it was worth a shot
big_smile.png
I agree, one should not have to be afraid of their animals. If roughing him up doesn't break him and humiliating him in front of the girls doesn't work (read it on the Old Timers thread some months back), there aren't many options. Seems he's ended up with the better of the two.
wink.png

As to another rooster, maybe you need to buy one that is old enough to have proven himself gentle. Seems plenty of people on BYC have roosters that get along with "their people" just fine. I have heard that Cubalaya roosters are gentle but they are a whole other shape and size of bird so maybe not the best choice.

Bruce

I wish it could be something this simple in our case, but I've been wearing the same white rainboots forever.  And, our roo attacks my handyman and our petsitter as well.  Anyone who develops a relationship with the hens becomes a threat to him.  Well, a friend here in town who urban homesteads is going to take my roo because he actually wants a very aggressive rooster for his new flock.  I'm so glad I remembered to talk to him about my problem.

My next problem is to decide whether I want to get another roo in the hopes he will be gentle, or forego rooster entirely.  I was really loving having the full flock experience until the rooster started drawing blood.  As my friend Ken said, it's just his genetics, he's just doing what he is meant to do, and yeah, I know that, but still.... I can't be afraid of my backyard.  I'm a super sensitive person and my preference is that my chickens all die of old age, so this is REALLY hard for me, the whole thing.  Fortunately, he will have another chance with a new flock.
I'm so sorry about ur mean roo, one of mine did the exact same thing. Once he turned a year old, he wnt crazy. A sold him after he spurred me in the leg so deep it scarred badly. However, I think u should look around until u find the right rooster. I did, and I now have the sweetest boy ever. I bought him out of pity, because he only had one eye and was being kept in a battery cage, and now he is my pet, lol. He follows me around begging to be picked up and petted, and if I'm outside, he s right on my heels. So just keep looking, u will find the perfect boy for ur farm
1f60a.png

Added a couple of EE chicks with my last order that are now 4 weeks old. Unfortunately one appears to be going Roo on me.
To bad, because he/she is a great looking silver bird. He is twice the size of the brown one and his comb is pinking up already.

Added a couple of EE chicks with my last order that are now 4 weeks old. Unfortunately one appears to be going Roo on me.
To bad, because he/she is a great looking silver bird. He is twice the size of the brown one and his comb is pinking up already.

He is really nice looking. The big patches of white on the wings are another clue. I guess by your user name that you aren't allowed to keep roosters?

Quote:
There is school of thought that the more you handle a young roo, the less afraid he becomes of people, less respectful of boundaries, and therefore more likely to attack. I think it has a lot to do with the inherent temperament of the individual roo, and that the majority of them are fine. A few are like puppy dogs, a few are holy terrors, but most are just doing their jobs. There are some good articles in the learning center.

Quote:
Well hopfully mine wont get aggresive if it does turn out that this chick is a rooster. I also ay a lot of attention, cuddle, and love to spend time with my chickens. Sorry that you have to get rid of him. Maybe all of the sudden he will have a change of attitude. But if this chick is a rooster i will give my all to make him nice.

There is school of thought that the more you handle a young roo, the less afraid he becomes of people, less respectful of boundaries, and therefore more likely to attack. I think it has a lot to do with the inherent temperament of the individual roo, and that the majority of them are fine. A few are like puppy dogs, a few are holy terrors, but most are just doing their jobs. There are some good articles in the learning center.
x2

That was my experience with my first roo. I LOVED that chick, I cuddled him and held him ALL the time and he was such a sweetheart
love.gif
......... UNTIL.....
somad.gif

As soon as he got to be about 6-8 months old he turned horribly aggressive! At first I thought it was cute when he would try to attack, he didn't know what he was doing or how to do it
gig.gif

But then he got meaner and BIGGER.... not so cute anymore
ep.gif

I read all the threads and asked all sorts of questions. I tried every tip and trick in the book! If someone could make a mean rooster nice, it was going to be me! By sheer determination and love!
hugs.gif

Needless to say..... I couldn't make him nice again.....
hit.gif

It was heartbreaking to get rid of him, but it couldn't compare to the FEAR of letting him attack one of my kids!
hide.gif
(They were always his first target!)

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from loving on their roo, I'm sure lots of people have had great success stories with this method. I however, did not and I wish I would have known better before that experience. I might have done things differently. Just my two cents
old.gif

I have 3 Roos. I got them when they were 8 mths 2EE & 9 mths 1 Brown Leghorn. I had them a couple of weeks before I got any hens. In those 2 weeks I kept them up and would catch and hold them daily. Once I trusted them my kids 11 & 8 would catch them. after I got the hens I kept them up a week or so longer and the started letting them out to free range. I still catch and hold the EE's, but the Leghorn was always more flighty and I don't bother with him any more. The Leghorn is the Alpha. I get aggravated at him for bullying my boys every now and then, but try to remember its his job. He is still a good roo great with the hens. I do have to give him the "look" on occasion. The EE's hang together and follow me around if I'm out side. I still catch and hold Beau my favorite sometimes, but I usually have hens clamoring for my attention. I have Jersey Giants ordered and after reading this I don't plan on holding them a lot because I sure don't want a 13lb roo to get mean.

Now to figure out how to raise nice turkeys....

I have many roosters here on my land and I have handled them from day one and never had a problem.
We recently rescued a EE from someone , and he did flog their child I do have children but ages 11 up to 21
They all handle the chickens and roosters without a problem and this rooster has turned out to be a really well behaved fella.
As soon as we got him we snatched him up by his legs turned him over put him under our arms each of us did this we
made sure he knew who was boss. He is a perfect roo now and I have no doubt im my mind he will remain fine here.

They are like dogs they can sense fear they can tell when someones body language is changing as your sensing a rush of OMG
is that rooster going to come after me he will already be at your legs I am sure.

You have to show them who is boss. Thats the only way I can get through it with 9 roosters who all free range.

Back
Top Bottom