The EE braggers thread!!!

I have a question and im hoping someone can answer it... I had a roo before this one and all my hens eggs are fertile from him. I traded him out for this new roo. And ive already seen the new roo do "the deed" to several of my hens already. So whos offspring will i get. Old roo or new roo?

F
I have a question and im hoping someone can answer it... I had a roo before this one and all my hens eggs are fertile from him. I traded him out for this new roo. And ive already seen the new roo do "the deed" to several of my hens already. So whos offspring will i get. Old roo or new roo?
From what I've heard, the latest roo to mate is the one that fertilizes the egg.

Coin flip. You'll get some eggs fertilized by each until the previous rooster's sperm die off. It may be 2-3 weeks.

The Silkie was a fabulous mom. We lost her to a bear last night! Makes me sick. I am sure she was protecting the one baby that we kept! We lost 4 other chickens and a runner duck. Our coop and run are very strong...only weak spot was the door...and that is what got torn apart! So my husband is now redoing the door. But, we lost my welsummer (the other broody), my silkie, a speckled Sussex, my wonderful Rhode Island Red and my beautiful Blue Laced Red Wyandotte roo. And my female Runner duck! The other thing that makes me sick is that a man wanted to buy my rooster and I told him to wait until today!!! If I had him come for him yesterday, he would have still been alive!
Sorry about the loss but a determined bear is hard to keep away. Hope you are able to bear proof the door.

CG

Being in Australia, it is so hard to imagine a bear attacking a coop! I have to deal with very large pythons but I can't imagine having a bear lurking around! The extent of the loss is also so much greater, a python will never usually eat more than one. Finding multiple gone would be so much worse. Python proofing is hard enough, bear proofing wow? I'll tell my crew how lucky they are tonight.

Being in Australia, it is so hard to imagine a bear attacking a coop! I have to deal with very large pythons but I can't imagine having a bear lurking around! The extent of the loss is also so much greater, a python will never usually eat more than one. Finding multiple gone would be so much worse. Python proofing is hard enough, bear proofing wow? I'll tell my crew how lucky they are tonight.
you really can never bear proof completely. There are 2 predators here in Northern California you can not completely protect against.
Bears and Mountain Lions. They can easily pull no climb fence off a post and rip a coop to shreds .

bobcats ,Coyotes , skunks , possums , raccoons , hawks , owls , eagles and dogs you can protect against

just not bears and mountain lions

you really can never bear proof completely. There are 2 predators here in Northern California you can not completely protect against.
Bears and Mountain Lions. They can easily pull no climb fence off a post and rip a coop to shreds .

bobcats ,Coyotes , skunks , possums , raccoons , hawks , owls , eagles and dogs you can protect against

just not bears and mountain lions
The bears here in Ga are the black bears. The are non aggressive and will run away easily. If we had seen him lurking around we would have gone outside and clapped our hands and told it to "Go Home!" and it would have run away. But, we didn't see it and we are sure it only went in to get the chicken feed...at first. But, bears are opportunist and having gotten in and eaten all the feed, and seeing all those chickens squawking around, well he couldn't pass it up! We don't hate the bears or the hawks (killed three of my young ones this year), they are beautiful creatures and are only trying to survive. We are concerned that the bear has come so close....the coop and run is only 6 feet away from the bottom of our apartment stairs at the back of the main house. It has been on our decks before getting the bird feeders. So now, no feeders, at least at night! We have named all the deer, bears and geese that come and visit. Don't know which one this is as I haven't seen it yet. The game camera needs batteries. Will get some today. Anyway, I am lucky to have friends who have offered me some chickens (same types as I lost). And, it is very hard losing our "friends" like that and having to take their name plates off the coop door!

The bears here in Ga are the black bears. The are non aggressive and will run away easily. If we had seen him lurking around we would have gone outside and clapped our hands and told it to "Go Home!" and it would have run away. But, we didn't see it and we are sure it only went in to get the chicken feed...at first. But, bears are opportunist and having gotten in and eaten all the feed, and seeing all those chickens squawking around, well he couldn't pass it up! We don't hate the bears or the hawks (killed three of my young ones this year), they are beautiful creatures and are only trying to survive. We are concerned that the bear has come so close....the coop and run is only 6 feet away from the bottom of our apartment stairs at the back of the main house. It has been on our decks before getting the bird feeders. So now, no feeders, at least at night! We have named all the deer, bears and geese that come and visit. Don't know which one this is as I haven't seen it yet. The game camera needs batteries. Will get some today. Anyway, I am lucky to have friends who have offered me some chickens (same types as I lost). And, it is very hard losing our "friends" like that and having to take their name plates off the coop door!
I mostly meant at night. if you are sleeping you want know it till your hear all the fuss

Back
Top Bottom