The EE braggers thread!!!

Last winter was miserable. For about the first time ever we had temps down to -9 degrees. As long as there was no precipitation coming down, I opened the door so my chickens could go out. They ran up and down ice hills and found they could go under the deck where there was no ice and snow and dig and scratch to their hearts' content. Most of the time they were on top of three feet of frozen snow/ice.
They seemed to be having a great time
That said, some neighbors opened their coop doors and their hens would look out but not venture outside. Some of theirs were different breeds. I had mostly EE's.

That is how my hens are. They will usually only go out if I SHOVEL a path for them lol

Since it often snows about once every 1-3 years here, I love seeing how the birds react when they wake up to leaving the coop on a snowy morning. They'll do their best to fly to any object above the snow, some of the brave ones will crow-hop the snow, and very very few will just carelessly plow through it. Since snow out here is 1-4 inches deep when it does happen, I just pack down a path with my feet and a third of the flock are okay with that.

I think I have an ee and an olive egger mixed...this hens eggs are light blue when they first come out and stay blue if kept warm or at room temp. As soon as it becomes cold it turns a dark army green. And if you handle it while it's cold it turns blue under your fingers! Has anyone rxpereienced this??? I

Oh, sigh. My EE, Merrie, is now 35 weeks old, and has not even begun to squat, much less to lay an egg. I'm reluctant to light the coop in the early mornings (middle of the night) because I've read that it can shorten a hen's life, as well as her laying years. Also, my FBCM and my SS - the only two who are laying - are laying 3-4 eggs each per week, and I don't want to disturb their schedules. It's also too darn cold here in Denver right now, and I fear they will just lay their eggs earlier and they'll be frozen by the time I can gather them.

Is this one of those situations where Merrie won't lay until the days are significantly longer? I've been giving her (and my other girls) extra protein, and they're all wonderfully healthy, so I don't think protein is a problem.

I am just so - well - longing when I see all your beautiful eggs - from EEs much younger than Merrie.

:rolleyes:

Patience is key. Often the winter can in fact prolong a young pullet's wait to lay her first egg. And of course, not all pullets begin laying at the same 'ol early 5-7 month age. I've known plenty pullets of many breeds and crossbreeds alike to lay anywhere from 6-14 months of age. If their time to lay is creeping into winter months, I usually have to wait a little bit longer. But not too much longer, don't worry.

I agree. My ee was laying consistently and now that it's cold she's the first to stop and have a pale comb and early molting stages. No blue winter eggs ): but maybe that means I'll have only blue spring eggs! Lol I need more ee's.....

I think I have an ee and an olive egger mixed...this hens eggs are light blue when they first come out and stay blue if kept warm or at room temp. As soon as it becomes cold it turns a dark army green. And if you handle it while it's cold it turns blue under your fingers! Has anyone rxpereienced this??? I

Yeah, it's a coating of brown over the egg that changes translucency according to the temperature, I bet to dampness too (have you put one under water or gotten it wet to see any change?) It's like getting a chalky looking rock wet and you notice it darkens or changes color.

Yeah, it's a coating of brown over the egg that changes translucency according to the temperature, I bet to dampness too (have you put one under water or gotten it wet to see any change?) It's like getting a chalky looking rock wet and you notice it darkens or changes color.
Awesome! Yeah that makes sense. I dazzle people and kids like "I have mood color changing eggs" lmao, some people think it's gross some people think it's magic. I'm pretty sure it's magic (; lol. I'll try to find the link to the video of her laying it and watching it change color

To evemfoster: Your Molly looks just like my younger EE, Peggy Sue. The body and tail colors are like gold and silver, and the head, muffs, and beard are black. She's still too young to lay, but she was definitely advertised as EE -well, actually AMERICANA, not Ameraucana. I'm sorry for her injuries. Hopefully Molly will quickly recover and give you more amazing eggs!
1f60a.png

Last edited:
Hey there just wanted to post some pics of one of our EE who lays the lightest color egg, it had been a mystery unti now. Hard to figure out who is laying what with 23 hens, but found her in th nest box so I got lucky, right after laying.

This is Beyonce one of 5 of our EE, she lays the lightest color eggs, almost look whitish against certain back grounds, see pics.

Funny how much the color changes depending on the back ground.

To roseyred: I love the idea of magic eggs, changing color between warm and cold. It must have been a shock to see that dark olive green the first time.:lol:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom