The EE braggers thread!!!

Hello,
I'm hoping someone could answer a question as I am fairly new to chickens. I noticed the above post so I thought now would be a good time to ask. I have this 6 week old chick that I hatched, she was born silver and I haven't noticed much of a color change other than her feathers becoming lighter. Is she at some point going to change color or stay as she is?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I have several blues as you've seen in my pics my last hatch I had one rooster with some red leakage it tends to always be around the saddle and wings. The blues tend to color out pretty true from chick to adult from my experience with the rooster developing a black saddle and hackle feathers and the hens developing just the black hackles. The red leakage in my birds came from breading my blue rooster over a blue wheaten hen. I found this produces a fully blue bird when bred true blues to the blue wheaten, but the offspring will breed true blue to blue but have leakage when bred back to blue wheaten. the leakage also can range from mild with a few flakes of red to extreme where the wings and hackles both are almost completely red. If you would like to get more blue birds without leakage you could bread your hen to a black rooster or one of you rooster to a black hen giving you half black and half blue chicks.

Roo or hen...

And what color will he she be

I have several blues as you've seen in my pics my last hatch I had one rooster with some red leakage it tends to always be around the saddle and wings. The
blues tend to color out pretty true from chick to adult from my experience with the rooster developing a black saddle and hackle feathers and the hens developing just the black hackles. The red leakage in my birds came from breading my blue rooster over a blue wheaten hen. I found this produces a fully blue bird when bred true blues to the blue wheaten, but the offspring will breed true blue to blue but have leakage when bred back to blue wheaten. the leakage also can range from mild with a few flakes of red to extreme where the wings and hackles both are almost completely red.  If you would like to get more blue birds without leakage you could bread your hen to a black rooster or one of you rooster to a black hen giving you half black and half blue chicks.
Thank you so much for your reply Kids coop! I appreciate it. I know nothing about breeding but may be tempted to give it a go in the future. My DH surprised me by incubating some of our EE's eggs for Valentine's day and this was the only one to hatch. I've never seen a chick this color before so I just had to inquire. I am definitely seeing some more red coming in on the wings now and am hoping it's not a male. It hatched out March 7th so I would like to think the comb would be bigger by now and showing redness. We'll see. Thanks again and your birds are absolutely GORGEOUS!

Thank you so much for your reply Kids coop! I appreciate it. I know nothing about breeding but may be tempted to give it a go in the future. My DH surprised me by incubating some of our EE's eggs for Valentine's day and this was the only one to hatch. I've never seen a chick this color before so I just had to inquire. I am definitely seeing some more red coming in on the wings now and am hoping it's not a male. It hatched out March 7th so I would like to think the comb would be bigger by now and showing redness. We'll see. Thanks again and your birds are absolutely GORGEOUS!

Back
Top Bottom