The EE braggers thread!!!

Quote:

Quote:
I love my blue EEs. I had 2 last fall, one female and one male without any red leakage. I had just gotten rid of my other roosters when something big took him and 4 other hens. I incubated some eggs, hoping he managed to fertilize some of the hens, and ended up with one blue female chick and 4 male chicks. I've kept her with the bantam flock because she has injured her leg and I'm afraid the big roosters will hurt her. I have a few blue roosters but they all have red leakage (two have tall combs).

Good Luck with your Blue EEs.

CG

Hello,
I'm hoping someone could answer a question as I am fairly new to chickens. I noticed the above post so I thought now would be a good time to ask. I have this 6 week old chick that I hatched, she was born silver and I haven't noticed much of a color change other than her feathers becoming lighter. Is she at some point going to change color or stay as she is?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Hello,
I'm hoping someone could answer a question as I am fairly new to chickens. I noticed the above post so I thought now would be a good time to ask. I have this 6 week old chick that I hatched, she was born silver and I haven't noticed much of a color change other than her feathers becoming lighter. Is she at some point going to change color or stay as she is?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

There might be a little bit of change, but the juvi-feathers are an indication of the adult feathers. Chick down really isn't a perfect indicator but it can tell you a little of the future feather colors too. What you have there is probably what it will look as an adult. If it is a cockeral, the neck/hackle feathers will often come in a different color. I've had black rooster turn "blond".

CG

There might be a little bit of change, but the juvi-feathers are an indication of the adult feathers.  Chick down really isn't a perfect indicator but it can tell you a little of the future feather colors too.  What you have there is probably what it will look as an adult.  If it is a cockeral, the neck/hackle feathers will often come in a different color.  I've had black rooster turn "blond".

CG
Thank you kindly for your reply. It is greatly appreciated. I was hoping she would remain the same color but I'm starting to notice a small strip of reddish on each side of the the chest and her head is becoming a darker shade of her exsisting color. WOW to your cockerel story! It's truly amazing how they can change so drastically. Have a wonderful day and thanks again.
P.S. Does the reddish always indicate cockerel?

At six weeks, I'd likely see more red feathers at the shoulders than the two stray ones showing here.  Ifthat's the only red to come in, this is a girl.  Two more weeks will confirm it but the comb is still looking pale and small to me and no obvious red shoulders which means female.

CG
I am in agreement, especially on the comb. Her pops had quite a prominent one at this age although the red feathering didn't show till later. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
Mom & pop at her age.

I'm in love with Gypsy's coloring! Her head is turning silver too :)

Destiny is getting a black muff, she looks kinda like an owl to me hehe.
(Third from the left)

Arrow is starting to worry me. Does she look like a roo to anyone? She certainly acts sort of rooish. :/

I'm in love with Gypsy's coloring! Her head is turning silver too :)

Destiny is getting a black muff, she looks kinda like an owl to me hehe.
(Third from the left)

Arrow is starting to worry me. Does she look like a roo to anyone? She certainly acts sort of rooish. :/

Gypsy looks boyish to me. If those are red shoulders....could just be lighting though.

Oh, hmm. She's buff and white (it's a lot more buff than it looks in the picture) but it is a pretty dark buff. I wouldn't call it red but it is pretty dark tan. She's so mellow and at the bottom of the pecking order so hoping it's a pullet but I see what you mean about the feathers.

Back
Top Bottom