The EE braggers thread!!!

Hatcheries do vent sex their Easter Eggers, but the accuracy rate is usually closer to 75% rather than the claimed 90%. Regardless, when buying sexed chicks, there is always a chance for an accidental cockerel or two.

I think they can vent at 90%... but prefer to ship at 70%...

Last year I ordered 100 hens CX's for eating. I got 100 hens. I order 50 roosters the year before and got 10 hens. (hens having less value as broilers.)

The year before that I ordered 50 straight run and got 41 hens. Color me skeptical but.. the numbers suggest someone plays loose and fast with the 90% sexing rate.

I never trust hatchery straight run, they always throw in the unwanted first. Our hatchery has been very good on their sexing. I have only had one mis-sexed. Also packing peanuts are another unwanted so if you ordered a small amount of pullets the extras are usually boys.

I love when there beards are a different color then there hackles. What color or breed is your little whitish girl who walks in front of the camera at the beginning? Is she laced? Splash? Silver?

I love when there beards are a different color then there hackles. What color or breed is your little whitish girl who walks in front of the camera at the beginning? Is she laced? Splash? Silver?
she is an araucana x rir mix she lays a nice greenish blue egg. My daughter got her from school she's the only gal that's showed any interest in setting eggs last summer. April she will be 2years old

In that pen with him is a rir, 3 ppr, 2ee, 1 blue ameraucana, 1 lav orp, and the white gal Gonzo.

Can't wait to hatch another batch from this pen,

Last edited:
she is an araucana x rir mix she lays a nice greenish blue egg. My daughter got her from school she's the only gal that's showed any interest in setting eggs last summer. April she will be 2years old

In that pen with him is a rir, 3 ppr, 2ee, 1 blue ameraucana, 1 lav orp, and the white gal Gonzo.

It's kind of funny you are talking about ee and Rir mixes... I have some and they a are just beautiful
In their coloring!!

It takes about a month or two for pullets to start laying 'normal' sized eggs. But those eggs will still likely be smaller than grocery store eggs. Their eggs will get a bit bigger with each seasonal molt that they go through.

Yep, for a while two 2 egg omelettes took 5 pullet eggs. But it depends on the individual bird. Of the 3 EEs I got in June, one started at USDA Small and took 2 weeks to get into the lower part of Medium. It took another 2 months to get to the lower end of Large. The second one to start laying took six weeks to get to the low end of Medium around mid January and is still there. The one that started last, not until Jan 9th, went straight to the low end of Medium and hit the low end of large 2 weeks later. But the one laying Mediums is laying 5.75/week, one more than the other 2 girls.

Hatcheries do vent sex their Easter Eggers, but the accuracy rate is usually closer to 75% rather than the claimed 90%. Regardless, when buying sexed chicks, there is always a chance for an accidental cockerel or two.

I got super lucky with my 12 Ideal girls in 2012 and 7 Meyer girls in 2015. 100% both times (knock on wood should I ever order pullet chicks again, how often can a guy get that lucky?)

I hope this link works.
We looked over all our chickies today. This vid shows off our handsome too, Marty

Beautiful boy, and BIG! You have a nice mix of breeds there.

It's kind of funny you are talking about ee and Rir mixes... I have some and they a are just beautiful
In their coloring!!

X2! This is Sunny and her egg she layed today :)

Back
Top Bottom