The EE braggers thread!!!

same girl again...

168759_189451671065185_100000010599632_712351_4766905_n.jpg

164817_189451701065182_100000010599632_712353_5866804_n.jpg

168607_189450281065324_100000010599632_712341_2124547_n.jpg

166837_189450301065322_100000010599632_712343_7909489_n.jpg

167442_189450354398650_100000010599632_712345_6967753_n.jpg

Quote:
Oh it's no big deal, just some pics of me flexin' in a Speedo in a local bodybuilding competition.

So hay you mentioned not wanting to be hatching your own eggs until maybe next year and I wanted to bring up a few points that may or may not be of interest to you...

Do you have an incubator yet? Know how to hatch eggs with some degree of reliability?

The reason I ask is - what if you lost your roostuh tonight? Or your favorite hen, if you know which eggs she lays. Would you want the ability to hatch whatever eggs you currently have on hand?

No I do not yet have an incubator and have no hatching experience. I would probably either make a home made one w/ some plans I've seen or get a small styrofoam one. I have no idea at this time which bird lays which egg, but I will be dividing the flock into two smaller groups (part of my master gardening plan) and when I am dealing w/ a smaller number of hens 10-11 that will be w/ Oreo I will set out to learn which egg is laid by which girl especially those that I most want offspring from and high on that list is skyfire. I know blue isn't a true NAQ color, but I think she is stunningly beautiful. That will happen in the next few weeks, once I know which egg is hers if I loose either one unexpectadly I will set all her eggs I have at the time. Either myself or there is a very active BYC community in OK that are hatch-a-holics and I'm sure one could be begged into hatching them for me.

Before I start hatching I really need a plan for what to do w/ the extras, I live in town and do not have unlimited space, and recently have had a harrowing experience w/ a mercy kill. Before that experience I had thought about the possibility of dispatching to freezer camp myself, I need to look around and find out if there is any processing facilities here that would be anywhere near cost effective.

I always look forward to going home after working my 24 hrs shift, but now I'll have even more to look forward too!
gig.gif
ep.gif

Wull, one reason I asked is because your first couple/few hatches you can expect to totally flail.

Also, blue may or may not be an SAQ color, but an NAQ is in the eye of the beholder.
wink.png
(my Opal has Blue and I would totally consider her an NAQ) (the S. American dudes' chickens are waaay more contaminated with commercial/production genes than any of our "Americanas").

I can totally empathize on what to do with all the peeps, especially since your recent euthanasia experience. I had previously thought I was gonna be the big chicken farmer and stuff until I lost a few great ones along the way and found myself balling like a little gurl out in the middle of the broccoli rows.

I can understand the crying in the broccoli patch. I tend to get very attatched to my pets/animals. There is a vet in a neighboring town when my little pug died in my arms several years ago that I'm sure thinks I'm some sort of crazy woman. When I did the full on fall to the ground and looked like a woman at the wailing wall on the news, except no head scarf.

If it is that it is my only eggs from her (like one is killed) I will definately then get a fellow okie BYCer w/ experience to hatch them for me. I wouldn't want to risk the only eggs on inexperience.

Moved my 5 EE babies (and 2 RIRs) into the coop today--- well, not loose in the coop, but in a dog X-pen with chicken wire over the top so they can grow up a little more while still meeting the rooster and pullet that are current residents. O.O I thought they were big enough, I came in a few hours later to find three of them running around behind the fence, since they were able to squeeze in and out of the bars. O.O Oh well, now it seems the very fact that the heat lamp only covers a corner of their pen seems to be keeping them in now that they are orientated and know where the food and water is. My poor sweet pet chickie babies xD . Some of them are really friendly and don't like to be put down... like to ride around perched on your hands (first chicks I've ever had enjoy that, the others couldn't even balance on a moving hand!). I hope even though now partially isolated from daily interaction in the coop, they will remember me and keep being friendly little chickie babies.

=============

Okay... kind of off topic for the current line of discussion....

But... uh... does anyone else have a rooster that kind of sounds like Darth Vader?

If I touch Big Red, he glares at me and I can hear this husky breathing sound..very creepy. He also does this when pecking scratch from my hand. He will peck several times in a row than sit there with his beak partially open, make a gaspy growl noise and then go pecking at it again.

It seems to be anger issues? He used to be super nice... but now he likes to peck MEAN. I pushed him down earlier today, and when he was trying to peck me tonight I grabbed the back of his comb and held it until he crouched down and sat there (on the perch... I didn't hurt him).

I'm just wondering if this is normal "rooster" sounds, or if he might have a respitory problem?

(he's a BO)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom