The EE braggers thread!!!

"Do you think these indicate a gender difference or just how they inherited the comb types of the parents? Any other clues as to sex ID at this age or do I just need to be patient? So hoping at least a couple are girls and lay olive eggs!" quote from mayhysong

maryhysong comb shape is never an indication of gender. The shape is determined by the parents shapes and since your parents Welsummer larger single comb and Ameraucana pea comb (?) have different combs styles each bird has their own variation of the mix. Nice birds BTW

Thank you Flower. I only thought the comb difference might indicate gender because when it first showed up around 8 weeks, it mostly looked like the two double ones were much bigger than the singles, so I thought they were roos. Been a long time since I raised any straight run chicks. It wasn't until the original owner confirmed the fathers identity and I looked at pictures that I realized the breeds have different combs and that it might just be differences in comb types. So happy to think they might all be girls.

In case you guys haven't seen this picture yet. All 4 of my EE girls are laying sky blue eggs. I won a plaque at the show (Reserve Champion Egg Entry!) They went up against all standard sized eggs
big_smile.png
gorgeous blue eggs

Just curious, I've noticed the last couple of days that my pullet (I think it's a pullet) is getting a beard. I know that Ameraucana people get upset if you call an EE an Ameraucana so what distinguishes one from the other? Do EE's get beards also?

Yes Ee's are most;y non standard AM's or crosses, most have beards as well tho right now I have a roo with no beard, and I could have swore he had one as a chick, not sure where it went.. will have too look back and post a picture
..... this is little red, now looking gangly and tall but no beard, does it appear he has 1 in this picture?????
anyway, AM's and EE are a big mess people are always fighting about it, its crazy they are all beautiful chickens but as far as I can figure, the difference is, am's breed true EE's do not , you can get a good variety of color from 1 pair, my EE fileen and my Graybeard, a splash wild type EE gave me 3 different colored babies this year, a white, a tan and white/gray faced girl, and 2 roos that are almost identical...WildType duck wings. these guys
........ only 1 lays a green blue egg, and that isn't outa my EE hen she was a SLW cross....my 2 hens from Fileen lay a tan pinkish egg.. so I can't complain and my favorite is the EE anyway because of all the colors...could care less about green legs or if they breed true, as long as they are EE's..............Kim
Ok a better discription of my EE's and babies in color even hehehe

Last edited:
http://www.ameraucana.org/faq.html#TWO

What are Easter Egg chickens?
The Ameraucana Breeders Club defines an Easter Egg chicken or Easter Egger as any chicken that possesses the blue egg gene, but doesn’t fully meet any breed descriptions as defined in the APA and/or ABA standards. Further, even if a bird meets an Ameraucana standard breed description, but doesn’t meet a variety description or breed true at least 50% of the time it is considered an Easter Egg chicken.

Here is the standard for Ameraucanas

http://www.ameraucana.org/standard.html

Egg color is not something a Judge at a show would judge a bird on USUALLY. They really mostly are looking at the standard for type and color.

I do cull for egg color when I can. Greenest eggs go to the Olive Egger pen. I don't even want green eggs in my EE pen ..... just my preference.
You breed your Olive Eggers the total opposite of me. My first generation all came from the bluest eggs that my EE's had laid (I don't have them, they were used to start up my Olive Eggers) and Olive Eggers from Wynette. I have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation in my incubator. The first generation will come from 2 Lavender Ameraucana and my FBCM pullets. I think I need to buy some Wheaten Ameraucana to mix things up a little. I myself think the Olive Eggers are just EE's, but lay an olive
egg depending on who covers them. I love the colored eggs and the different variations you can get. I want an egg that has the dipped effect, Wynette has gotten some of those eggs. I would also like to get an emerald egg, won't that be cool. I can't wait until your Barred Rock babies grow bigger, still have all 12
yesss.gif
and cute as a button, that truly was a great purchase.
thumbsup.gif

Michele

I like your birds! are you breeding for the blue and rust color?

Here's another glorious beard, and a cool comb! lol

ty! I plan to breed in the Spring, we'll see what happens! you get all kinds of combo's with the mixed breeds...the multicolors in yours are awesome!
love.gif

This morning when I went out to let the babies out I took the camera with me to get shots of my bearded lady! She is 9 weeks old. This is Teriyaki :) Needless to say, I am a little excited!
celebrate.gif
Doesn't take much to make me happy, it's the simple things in life....awwww!

she is so gorgeous! it will be very cool to watch updates of her development!

I love her beard! Floofy is the perfect word to describe it
love.gif

this didn't quote right... but the bird this references has a lovely multicolored beard, spectacular and yes... "Floofy"

Last edited:
Quote:
I think of them as EE too, with a twist. To me if they lay a green egg, they already have some of the genes for Olive, they just need MORE. LOL.

I hope they lay your lots of eggs! I love my BR.... still working to improve them. I just sold 2 hens, and I am thinking of adding 1 hen to another Barred Rock roo I have, he is FINALLY old enough. Going to do some test hatches and see what I get. I also have some pullets growing up and lots more I just hatched. I figured since I was only getting half blue barred rocks and half of them will be roos, I needed more RIGHT?
lau.gif
I am actually keeping all the pullets for sexlinks in the spring. Usually I sell the Black ones.

I just hatched 3 Barred EE... .my Black Am that laid a greener egg, jumped the fence so now I have some barred EE to make sexlinks from too
yesss.gif
I have 2 already.

My EEs are from Estes Hatchery, sold as Ameraucanas. These are some of my first chickens, and I have no idea about their breeding program, so, I've just been referring to them as EEs.

But my Saffron has an awesome beard, or so I have been told.

Back
Top Bottom