The EE braggers thread!!!

oh O.K, so different countries, different rules. Got it and yes ive looked up the American Araucana Club and the Australian one and my hens fit into the Australian class but not the American as you said they are not rumples and dont have muffs.
One more question, are there any breed of chickens that have muffs like a EE but dont lay colored eggs? My neighbor has these hens (mixed breed) they have muffs and they look like EE's but they dont lay colored eggs and she said they are not EE's but she doesn't know what breed they are.

As SFF said, Salmon Favorelles have huge muff and beards. (Look up the Derperella thread here for a fun example).
D.gif

In EEs, usually the blue/green egg layers have a Pea comb, because the genes for these traits lie very close together on the chromosome and are usually (but not always) inherited together. Check if your friend's brown laying EE look-alikes have straight combs. That usually shows they did not inherit the blue egg gene.

I have a couple of pullets that I bought over the weekend. I thought they were EE's now, I'm not so sure. They looked quite a bit like my one EE, but now I think the smaller one might be a light brown leghorn. Not sure about the blue. What do you more veteran chickeners say?

Pretty girls. They do look like crosses. Hard to tell the comb types, but the girl in front might be part Lehorn (that white earlobe and body shape), but I think the comb and wattles would be much bigger if pure. Also not sure of leg color for these.

The blue girl has wattles (EEs usually don't) and yellow legs and neither girl has muffs or beard. Sooooo... they very well could be EEs, but the presence of a Pea comb is the most important thing if you are hoping for blue/green eggs.

Last edited:
Pea comb is three ridges with almost round segments, correct?

Actually, I wouldn't mind if the young one was a leghorn. I don't have any white egg layers yet!

Last edited:
Pretty girls. They do look like crosses. Hard to tell the comb types, but the girl in front might be part Lehorn (that white earlobe and body shape), but I think the comb and wattles would be much bigger if pure. Also not sure of leg color for these. The blue girl has wattles (EEs usually don't) and yellow legs and neither girl has muffs or beard. Sooooo... they very well could be EEs, but the presence of a Pea comb is the most important thing if you are hoping for blue/green eggs.
If she is part leghorn, better chances of blue eggs than green from what I understand. Brown in the mix makes green eggs. Blue + white can't make green, right? I have a Phoenix cross that looks similar to the front girl.
_MG_9165.jpg
She has white earlobes.. Not sure if you can see them here. Also note that despite her white ear lobes, she lays a light brown egg :)

Last edited:
Quote:
Pea comb is three ridges with almost round segments, correct?

Actually, I wouldn't mind if the young one was a leghorn. I don't have any white egg layers yet!

Yes, but the pea comb can come out looking a bit strange from the crossbreeding.

We got a white leghorn by mistake (changeling in the Delaware brooder) and are happy to get some white eggs, such a novelty!, but find that she is a bit aggressive compared to my more laid back dual purpose girls.

I doubt that yours is pure. I checked, and she has the wrong leg color. That with the absence of wattles means she's probably EE, and if she has the blue egg gene, you might get pretty pale blue eggs (rather than green).

If she is part leghorn, better chances of blue eggs than green from what I understand. Brown in the mix makes green eggs. Blue + white can't make green, right?
Yup. When the brown coating covers the blue shells, the egg looks green or olive if it's a really dark brown.

Unfortunately, white earlobes indicating white eggs does not hold true with all breeds, and all bets are off with crosses!

Quote:

Yes, but the pea comb can come out looking a bit strange from the crossbreeding.

We got a white leghorn by mistake (changeling in the Delaware brooder) and are happy to get some white eggs, such a novelty!, but find that she is a bit aggressive compared to my more laid back dual purpose girls.

I doubt that yours is pure. I checked, and she has the wrong leg color. That with the absence of wattles means she's probably EE, and if she has the blue egg gene, you might get pretty pale blue eggs (rather than green).

Yup. When the brown coating covers the blue shells, the egg looks green or olive if it's a really dark brown.

Unfortunately, white earlobes indicating white eggs does not hold true with all breeds, and all bets are off with crosses!
Hoping that she is 1/2 brown leghorn 1/2 EE for Jeff!

:fl

Hi Guys, I am also in OZ & was sold this girl as an Aracauna but she is so smooth looking not like the nice fluffy ones you guys have been posting. She has muffs & beard (especially when cranky!) I was looking for a banty hen in a hurry so was not chasing a particular breed. The photos do not show the intricate lacy pattern she has. Posted the 2nd one of her (behind rooster) to try & show her colour better but niether are good. So what is she do you think? I am quite happy with whatever but I was interested as she was sold as Aracauna? Thanks

A true to breed Araucana in the U.S. cant have a tail. The birds the hatcherys sell as Araucana are Easter Eggers. I have "hatchery araucana" and have four different leg colors in 9 birds. with the tufts and beard she will lay something for a colored egg but you will have to wait and see what color it is. :) That is the fun of EE's they are always a suprise!!

She lays a very light blue egg, very popular with my neighbours grandson! Not many people seem to have EEs in my area so bit of a novelty.

Re Oliver being 12 years old- I did not realise this was such a big deal until I joined this forum as I had an old hen reach 13 last year. Both are mixed breed which probably explains a lot. I really wanted Olivers line to go one which is why I bought the cochin x banties and bred as soon as I could. Thinking Oliver was surely on his way out, I ended up with 6 of his sons!!! I have rehomed 2 & the other 4 are really gentle and do not challenge him (yet). They are 6.5 months, so all ok at the moment.
Oliver still "services" his hens and has spent at least half of everyday freeranging, although all are snake proofed at night, survived numerous losses of his wives to pythons over the years. He has outlived wives, children and grandchildren. He is my favourite so rock on 13!

I have a couple of pullets that I bought over the weekend. I thought they were EE's now, I'm not so sure. They looked quite a bit like my one EE, but now I think the smaller one might be a light brown leghorn. Not sure about the blue. What do you more veteran chickeners say?

They are very pretty hen and if you have a rooster who makes blue egg layers, then you can use them for more EEs. And they do look like EEs but please post pictures of their eggs !!!

Back
Top Bottom