The EE braggers thread!!!

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but the three chicks on the bottom were all boys. (Black Am x Barred Rock or Cuckoo Marans) They stuck out like little sore thumbs from the first minute with those lovely head dots! I think the barring started coming in around 2 or 3 weeks of age.

And to be fair, 5 out of 6 ended up being boys... the lone girl was Black Am x Blue Andalusian, and she is very pretty. She's 16 weeks now, and will hopefully be laying a nice, light blue egg.

wao thats just cute and she is gorgeous

She was the only EE I kept after starting my OE's and she was broody, so I gave her dmrippys eggs and she did a great job. They were trying huddle under her today outside. I thought if I locked her out of the brooder house she would get the hint the babies are too big. But no.....She gets to stay, can't have too many good broody mom's.
love.gif

Here is my new 8 1/2 week old EE. How do you like her crazy beard? I think it is just because it has just started growing in.... she is the sweetest thing....always so nice to all the other chicks, even the ones that are so much younger than she is!

Well I've started fermenting. I am going to test that theory!
big_smile.png

According to some, certain mothers produce more girls than boys. If you keep proper track, you can keep the ones doing such, and cull the ones that aren't. I believe this was mentioned by Stonykill.. I'd like to know more about that as well.

I have no idea how it would work out with chickens but in rabbit breeding if you breed does in certain moon signs the majority of the litter will be does, in other signs, bucks and in other signs the average half and half. This really does work; I used to do it, if I wanted to keep new does I would breed everyone in the right sign and get 80% or more girls. Of course that was about 25 years ago and now I have forgotten the right signs! Though I'm sure a google search would turn up the article. I think it was in one of the ARBA newsletters...

Now I know that all sorts of things can happen to chicks while they are incubating. I also know that some animals, like frogs (OK technically an amphibian) can change their sex if the population is all one sex and the opposite is in short supply. Just wondering if there is anything about chickens. Are the sexes set in stone before incubation or could something be done while incubating that would cause more of one sex than the other? (Like a slightly higher or lower temperature) If it is a seasonal thing (more girls some hatches than others) maybe it has to do with temp, length of day affecting hens hormones, differences in food through the seasons.... mmmm makes me wonder what kind of research has maybe been done in this area! OK off to google!

Well I am still not sure if my Welsummer cross pullets had an Americauna daddy or not; still waiting for eggs, 5 months old now but a couple are starting to redden up a bit. Had four and lost one to an owl a few nights ago.. No beards or muffs or anything tho so not still not sure........... but thinking maybe not.

I do have some lavender Americauna EE eggs in the 'bator, due to hatch Nov 15. so far several look like they got scrambled in shipping. A couple I can see into at all and a couple Just might have some life in them. These eggs are all very pale green.

I would like some that lay blue eggs tho!

Here is my new 8 1/2 week old EE. How do you like her crazy beard? I think it is just because it has just started growing in.... she is the sweetest thing....always so nice to all the other chicks, even the ones that are so much younger than she is!

love.gif

OK discovered a bit of info concerning sex in chicks ;-) I didn't realize before that the hen is responsible for the sex of the chick; would make sense that some hens might have more girls than boys (similar to people, sure you all know families where there are lots of boys or lots of girls)

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/6/6-3/determining_sex_in_chicks.html
i have also read /heard that the father is the one who contributes to the egg production genes, so if you have a really outstanding layer you are supposed to keep the daddy roo to use for breeding? Which is different than only using a good laying hen for the breeding.

So following these logics you want the father of your best layer and to put him with a hen that has a lot of girl babies! Can't go wrong!
big_smile.png

:love
i have also read /heard that the father is the one who contributes to the egg production genes, so if you have a really outstanding layer you are supposed to keep the daddy roo to use for breeding?  Which is different than only using a good laying hen for the breeding. 

So following these logics you want the father of your best layer and to put him with a hen that has a lot  of girl babies!  Can't go wrong!  :D
It's the mother who determines the gender, not the father. The father contributes in humans at least :p

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/365022/who-determines-sex-of-chicks-rooster-or-hen

Last edited:
Yes, i learned that from what you guys said, but just because the hen makes a girl don't mean the girl is a good layer! See?

A hen is born with a number of eggs she can produce. They don't make more cells for the eggs; From what i've read a father contributes to the number of cells she is born with. :) Henceforth how good a layer she will be.

So if mother makes gender, and father determines how good a layer she will be, what i got from this is to put your best layer's dad with your best pullet making hen; best of both worlds! :)

Back
Top Bottom