The EE braggers thread!!!

_MG_7126.jpg
All of these chicks (besides the silkies) are EEs. I have a lot of barred EEs. Out of these guys, I see only two boys. Corner and small one 3rd chick to the left. I can't tell on the barred chicks yet. All of their combs are non-existent. Wouldn't that be nice, if all barred ones were girls? :fl I doubt it though.
_MG_7131.jpg
Pretty sure on this one being a girl. So cute.
_MG_7129.jpg
Silkie with EE chick peeking out. This chick is around 2 weeks old, so not old enough to feign a guess.

_MG_7126.jpg

All of these chicks (besides the silkies) are EEs. I have a lot of barred EEs. Out of these guys, I see only two boys. Corner and small one 3rd chick to the left. I can't tell on the barred chicks yet. All of their combs are non-existent. Wouldn't that be nice, if all barred ones were girls?
fl.gif

I doubt it though.
I thought it was supposed to be easy with Barred crosses? If father is barred then all barred chicks will be females & if mom is barred all barred chicks will be males? Is that right??

Are all EE's patterned? No solid colors?

I thought it was supposed to be easy with Barred crosses? If father is barred then all barred chicks will be females & if mom is barred all barred chicks will be males? Is that right??

Barred father = all barred chicks.
I think there is an exception crossed with EE though, because it's hard to get a EE to breed true.

Last edited:

Most EEs are patterned because of the mixed background. You can have solid colors, though. Solids usually seem to be white or black.

I did a cross on my EE hens with a barred Naked Neck.
I got barred, red barred, and red barred with blue background, and red ones.
The ones that came out barred are the only ones that I can tell who the father was, because I crossed my EE with my NN hens at the same time and hatched them all at once.

Last edited:
I thought it was supposed to be easy with Barred crosses?  If father is barred then all barred chicks will be females & if mom is barred all barred chicks will be males? Is that right??

Are all EE's patterned?  No solid colors?

I have solid white EEs. They can be solid. Any Ameraucana that does not meet standard is an EE, so a white Ameraucana that has yellow soles is an EE. That's putting it in terms everyone will understand. Ameraucanas have been mucked up with crosses a lot. They have to fit the standard and breed true 50% of the time.

Barred father = a;; barred chicks.
I think there is an exception  crossed with EE though, because it's hard to get a EE to breed true.

The father is a barred rock. The mothers are white EEs. :) Barred father to almost any hen = barred chicks. If the mother has a dominant white in her - the chicks will be 50% barred 50% white.

Most EEs are patterned because of the mixed background. You can have solid colors, though. Solids usually seem to be white or black.
:thumbsup

I'm probably the only one, but I am kind of hoping one or even two of my EEs lays a non-blue/green egg, hopefully a pink or brown egg of any shade. We had originally intended to have 3 brown layers with the 3 SL Wyandottes, but one of them turned out to be a Rooster. So... I won't be terribly disappointed if I get a non blue/green laying EE. If I do, then I'll have to look into getting a Maran and an Australorp to add to my flock to balance out all of the EEs.
tongue.png

I'm probably the only one, but I am kind of hoping one or even two of my EEs lays a non-blue/green egg, hopefully a pink or brown egg of any shade. We had originally intended to have 3 brown layers with the 3 SL Wyandottes, but one of them turned out to be a Rooster. So... I won't be terribly disappointed if I get a non blue/green laying EE. If I do, then I'll have to look into getting a Maran and an Australorp to add to my flock to balance out all of the EEs.
tongue.png

That's an excellent excuse to get more chickens!
wee.gif
Yay Chicken Math!
yippiechickie.gif

Here is my EE, Ester. She is a blue edged red laced EE. She has the pea comb and the slate legs, but gives us a pinkish egg. I was really wanting the blue or green. But now I am happy she gave me a pinkish egg....since I have been able to talk DH into more chicks so I can get more colors!!!! We now have 6 new chicks! A Polish, for the fun of her, a Welsummer for the terra cotta colored eggs, 2 EE's and 2 Ameraucanas. So I will have lots of colored eggs in the spring! They join my others, a RIR, BO, BR, a silkie (not laying yet), another EE (light green egg! Yea!) and Brown leghorn and a mistake Blue Marans Roo. (3rd generation OE) I can see some more OE chicks in my future!

Back
Top Bottom