The egg-laying song - what's it sound like?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vermontgal, Dec 31, 2008.

1. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens are supposed to "sing" when they have laid an egg (or are about to lay an egg? which?).

Anyone take a video or sound recording of this?

Oh, I searched more thoroughly on youtube and found:

This is singing?!

My pullets make kind of a gentle crooning noise, which is a little like tuneless humming or singing. I like the crooning, but I'm not so sure about those egg noises. Is that really what I am listening for?

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Yup, that is just what some of mine sound like. Also they seem to prefer certain nest boxes and if one is in one of the preferred nest boxes one of the birds will stand outside it on the roost and squawk like she's telling the one in the nest to hurry up so she can have her turn.

3. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Whenyou hae been waiting months for your first egg, believe me that is the sweetest song you could hear.

lol....lol... [​IMG]

Jena

4. Big Red's Mom

Big Red's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Terry, Mississippi
    What about when the rooster joins in.....

That can get loud....

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Big Red's Mom :

What about when the rooster joins in.....

That can get loud....

Mine joins in also, I always ask him why he's doing the egg song he doesnt lay me eggs, or does he [​IMG]

6. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    It's a sound that can be heard for long distances (my introduction to it was from my neighbor's hens -- at least a hundred yards away). My girls don't necessarily lay an egg before they sound off. Sometimes it seems like they're just trying to get someone's attention so they can find out where the rest of the flock is.

7. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    When mine sing it , it sounds like they are yelling, "IT HURTS!! IT HURTS!!"

8. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Quote:LOL

Natalie doesnt make any noise. And I have caught her laying twice now. when they are just walking around and being talky though thats a treat.

9. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Ours go "buk buk buk" softly while in the nest and "BAWK BAWK BA-GAWK!" LOUDLY when finished! No crooning here.

10. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

YouTube also had some egg-laying videos - up close and personal (chicken-al?) with the vent. [​IMG] Maybe from some BYC members?! I'm glad I'm not planning to have kids, let alone lay an egg once a day...

Even though my gals are now 26 and 27 weeks old, without eggs yet, I still prefer the soft crooning to that egg "song".

We will see what my neighbors think of all this singing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by