The Egg Squawk - how long, how loud?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BawkinOnTheBench, Oct 31, 2008.

1. BawkinOnTheBench

BawkinOnTheBench Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    UT
    I knew that hens announced it when they laid eggs - I just didn't realize it was going to be so LOUD, or go on so LONG, or sound so HYSTERICAL!

So, do they get used to this process and squawk less over time? Or will it always sound like they just narrowly avoided horrible death?

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Oh my...I have one that hasn't even started laying yet that does it nonstop. She's done it since she was about 4 weeks old; she's now 28 weeks. When SHE starts, everyone else joins in, even the roo!

It really just depends on the pullet/hen. I've got a good friend with chickens that doens't sing the egg laying song until she's done laying; mine, on the other hand, sing it when they are thinking about laying!

3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    They can really raise a fuss alright. Some are just drama queens and others are not so bad, just depends on the hen. [​IMG]

4. PaintedMeadows

PaintedMeadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    St. Isidore
    And my 2 layers are silent. Hmmmm. I kinda want the egg squawk. [​IMG]

5. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Yeah, my hen starts and they all get going too. The roosters carry on the longest though. I never knew that they made that sound. I thought it was only the hens.

6. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Chook gets near-hysterical until she actually lays, then she's so quiet she makes me wonder if she keeled over in the process. Perky is quiet about everything, except being put down, then you'd think she's being chased with a hatchet.

7. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    MINE ARE SO FLIPPIN LOUD! SQUAAAAAAAAAWK! SQUAWK SQUAWK SQUAWK! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    One of my girls doesn't make a sound. One of them carries on before, during, and after(until food is served, she's kinda demanding), and a third pullet/hen talks and coos but not near as loud as the other. My last two I don't know about yet, as they have not started to lay as of yet. Not for another month is my guess. Though - I could be suprised and the time will come earlier. Who knows?!

9. erthymom2

erthymom2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    for a while this summer i thought one of my newly laying girls was a roo the way she carried on during early morning laying. i never actually saw her lay when she first started vocalizing and squaking at 4am in July, but wow...did she have some lungs on her. now she's settled into a few "hello?? anyone care that i pushed another out??" squaks and thats it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by