the [egg] wait is driving me crazy!!!

This is my first experience with chickens. They are now seven months and they still are not laying. Any suggestions or should I just practice patience and let nature take her course?

I generally watch the males to indicate laying in the hens. Typically, the males (Chickens, Turkeys, and Ducks) of the same generation begin to 'service' the hens between 2 weeks and a month prior to the first egg. Hope this helps.

Quote:
all you can do is be patient. She will lay when she is ready, and not a minute sooner. With shortening days (less light), it is going to take longer. Some may not lay till spring when the days get longer again.

To those who have roosters, I am jealous. At least then I could have an earlier indication of when my girls were gonna lay! Patience is HARD!

Last edited:
We got our first egg today! She never "squatted" and only sang the "chicken song" once! The one thing she did do was moved the hay around in her nest, she created a "hole" about 1 foot in diameter out of the hay a couple days ago.
woot.gif

Today Snow White my 19 week old white leghorn laid her fourth egg in four days of laying. I'm so proud of her. I noticed AC my Ancona has started to squat and her comb is now bigger redder and floppy. She is only 16 weeks old this coming Tuesday. I think she may be getting ready to lay soon as she is acting rather like Snow White did before she started laying.

Quote:
all you can do is be patient. She will lay when she is ready, and not a minute sooner. With shortening days (less light), it is going to take longer. Some may not lay till spring when the days get longer again.

To those who have roosters, I am jealous. At least then I could have an earlier indication of when my girls were gonna lay! Patience is HARD!

Soon very soon you will get your egg and you will be over the moon!

Quote:
Me too! Snow's comb and wattles are SO red!
he.gif
Still no egg squat, no egg song, nothing! Silly me ordering chicks this late in the year
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom