the [egg] wait is driving me crazy!!!

Quote:
I hadn't thought of squeezing!
big_smile.png

Well I don't feel so bad now. The neighbors chickens are still laying, though not so many and they have 3 new hens but several weeks older than mine. My girls are now a full 21.5 weeks old with 2 roo cheerleaders who have just started courting... No eggs yet and it is early, cold dark winter nights now, but nice sunny and warm days. Their combs and wattles are just starting to red up, the roo's are absolutely glowing red! They have checked out the nesting boxes, I've seen feathers and the odd small poop but no eggs yet. I started them on a mix of layer pellets blended in with the end of their chick feed and will start oyster shells in the next week with only layer pellets... they get scratch and compost bits morning and scratch at night. No heating no artificial light but a well insulated and draft free hen house. And we have had freezing weather already!

I console myself with, they only have so many eggs, so when they do start laying they will lay longer right???
idunno.gif

This should make some of you feel alot better. I have a Columbian hen that is 30 weeks, and no eggs, at all. My silkie, who is 34 weeks, laid 3 eggs about three weeks ago, one egg a day for 3 days. And nothing since! I finally bought a couple old hens just so I could get an egg on occasion, my husband didn't even notice the 2 new hens
big_smile.png
Almost $700 spent for 4 eggs.
roll.png
And most of my "pullets" turned into roos. But I treasured those three eggs!!

I feel your pain and expect I'll be going through it for awhile too. My white leghorn pullet just turned 18 weeks old on Saturday. Her comb has doubled and gotten redder. It is now flopping over. She and her mate, Foghorn, rush into the coop during the day and hang out. He gets in the nest box and clucks for her and she will stand around pretending not to care. I think we're close - but probably we have a good 5 more weeks before our first egg ever! And I can't wait for that day!

Here's my lovely, Snow White at 17 weeks old
97463_comb_cleaning_010.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom