The Egger Flock Selection Story 2022

I think you will keep more than you planned to... :gigYou know, kids will argue like: Yeah, Fluffy should stay, but we cannot let Henny go because she's Fluffy's best friends. And Daizy, she will be sad to leave us. Don't you think Goldie is cute? How about Lollipop? She's sweet too...
Well, @TillyPeeps called it! So glad we built bigger than needed, coop is 8x8 (was originally going to be 4x8)…so room for 16 with 4 sq ft per bird.

We decided to keep TEN! We had it narrowed down to 16…then waited a day or two…got to 10 and couldn’t decide…DH was ok with it, my aunt was ok with it (as long as I let her have the Production breeds, WTB, & WTG for high egg production at the farm. She ended up buying 6 sex links at TSC so she would have enough new babies for egg sales).

Any guesses which 10 we decided to keep? I will give you a hint that we are keeping breeds that will make a rainbow basket. I’ll put the list of choices excluding non-production breeds below since it’s changed so many times!

Americana/EE
Ancona
Andalusian
Blue Cuckoo Marans
Buff Orpington
Columbian Wyandotte
Cream Legbar
Cuckoo Marans
Delaware
French Black Copper Marans
Light Brahma
Olive Egger
Partridge Rock
Salmon Faverolles
Silver Laced Wyandotte
Speckled Sussex
Welsummer

(Excluded breeds for the farm were Amberlink, Blue Star, Brown Star, Ideal 236, ISA Brown, Production Red, WTB & WTG)

At the farm currently we have Barred Rocks, Gold Laced Wyandotte, Australorp, New Hampshire, Easter & Olive Egger, ISA Brown, Sapphire Gem, & Rustic Rambler.

I am so excited to see how our new breeds are, both at home and at the farm. I feel so blessed for my family & I to be able to enjoy the wonderful experience of owning and raising a large flock of chickens!

I will do THE GREAT REVEAL of our new flock soon! Stay tuned, & get your guesses in! 😊

Americana/EE*
Ancona*
Andalusian
Blue Cuckoo Marans*
Buff Orpington
Columbian Wyandotte
Cream Legbar*
Cuckoo Marans
Delaware*
French Black Copper Marans*
Light Brahma*
Olive Egger*
Partridge Rock
Salmon Faverolles*
Silver Laced Wyandotte
Speckled Sussex
Welsummer*

Those are my guesses. The white and medium brown layers were tricky. You could go in a few directions. They rest seemed pretty obvious. I just picked what I would want. 😂

It’s time for trhe big reveal!
We decided on:
Salmon Faverolles
Buff Orpington
Speckled Sussex
Light Brahma
Blue Cuckoo Marans
Welsummer
Americana/Easter Egger
Americana/Easter Egger
Olive Egger

The white layers were a big more flighty than I wanted, so if we ever add more I was thinking maybe California Grey or Dorking…

The Light Brahma has won me over. She is gentle, not pushy, and loves to sit on my lap & sleep. ❤️ We took a second EE, who started out completely light grey, and is now white on both wings. She’s a cuddler too! They are a wonderful group, and it was so difficult to narrow it down this much! Once we get them outside I will post some pics of them in the coop and run! Here are a few pics:
1657162692328.jpeg

1657162723210.jpeg

1657162790835.jpeg

It’s time for trhe big reveal!
We decided on:
Salmon Faverolles
Buff Orpington
Speckled Sussex
Light Brahma
Blue Cuckoo Marans
Welsummer
Americana/Easter Egger
Americana/Easter Egger
Olive Egger

The white layers were a big more flighty than I wanted, so if we ever add more I was thinking maybe California Grey or Dorking…

The Light Brahma has won me over. She is gentle, not pushy, and loves to sit on my lap & sleep. ❤️ We took a second EE, who started out completely light grey, and is now white on both wings. She’s a cuddler too! They are a wonderful group, and it was so difficult to narrow it down this much! Once we get them outside I will post some pics of them in the coop and run! Here are a few pics:
View attachment 3176615
View attachment 3176616
View attachment 3176619
Excellent choices!!! What sweet lil snugglers 😍

Back
Top Bottom