The Egger Flock Selection Story 2022

OMG! 8 weeks to chickies now!

Had to update. Due to the McMurray AI outbreak, we had to make a few adjustments to our order. Lost a few breeds we wanted, but I added on at the other hatchery. Here is the new order, hopefully without any more adjustments:
2 of each:
WTB
WTG
Welsummer
Lavender Orpington
Olive Egger
Speckled Sussex
Sapphire Gem
Blue Laced Red Wyandotte
1 of each:
Delaware
Salmon Faverolles
Andalusian
Ancona
French Copper Marans
Columbian Wyandotte
Partridge Rock
Buff Orpington
Easter Egger
Hatching:
6 CCL
3 EE
3 OE

Luckily the other hatchery had Marans & Faverolles (McM lost their breeds this year). Really was excited about a White Orpington, but we still have Lavender & Buff coming! Took the Mystery Chick off of our order. I will be keeping 6 after a friend offered to help with a bigger coop build!

EIGHT MORE WEEKS!

:wee
:woot:woot

I think you will keep some Orpington and Salmon Faverolle. Orpington is very friendly and loved by kids. Salmon Faverolle is just so funny and silly to watch! I find it's interesting that chickens change their personality when they grow up. Some of my friendliest chicks become skittish and some flighty chicks become the sweetest girls. It's really hard to tell the true personality before 12 weeks. Both Orpington and Salmon Faverolle didn't change though.

I think you will keep some Orpington and Salmon Faverolle. Orpington is very friendly and loved by kids. Salmon Faverolle is just so funny and silly to watch! I find it's interesting that chickens change their personality when they grow up. Some of my friendliest chicks become skittish and some flighty chicks become the sweetest girls. It's really hard to tell the true personality before 12 weeks. Both Orpington and Salmon Faverolle didn't change though.
I have heard such wonderful things about both of those breeds! My DS really wants an Orpington for that reason, so 99.9% sure we will have one here. 😊

I have heard such wonderful things about both of those breeds! My DS really wants an Orpington for that reason, so 99.9% sure we will have one here. 😊
I think you will keep more than you planned to... :gigYou know, kids will argue like: Yeah, Fluffy should stay, but we cannot let Henny go because she's Fluffy's best friends. And Daizy, she will be sad to leave us. Don't you think Goldie is cute? How about Lollipop? She's sweet too...

I think you will keep more than you planned to... :gigYou know, kids will argue like: Yeah, Fluffy should stay, but we cannot let Henny go because she's Fluffy's best friends. And Daizy, she will be sad to leave us. Don't you think Goldie is cute? How about Lollipop? She's sweet too...
I think moms might argue that to dads, also. 😉

Hi everyone! Time for a new update! It’s about 3 weeks now until our chicks will hatch! DS was super excited about hatching some eggs at home, so I posted an ad on CL for Easter Egger straight run chicks, and I have 3 people who want them! And a family member wants 6 chicks for a new coop, straight run (said they will eat the roosters if there are more than one).

So in addition to our chick order, yesterday I set a combination of Cream Legbar, Easter Egger, Olive Egger, and Buff Orpington eggs. I will sell the EE/OE chicks, and raise the CL & BO chicks to 6 weeks for my family member. I can keep a CL pullet since they are autosexing, or possibly a BO since I’ve heard the difference in sex is pretty obvious by that age. Luckily the farm where I picked up the extra eggs also said they will take any roosters I can’t find homes for, so worst case I have a place to take any.

DH has temporarily turned my 2-stall garage into a chicken brooder room. We will have 3 brooders set up for all the fluff! I am going to be in heaven. Lol.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom