The EMERGENCY Thread!!!

Pics
Its probably frostbite.Does it look like this?
65860_img_9208.jpg
That looks like an infection that started with frost bitten comb tips

What type of food/treats do you feed?
How old is she?
Any swelling of the abdomen?

As suggested earlier a photo of the droppings on paper towels, hard surface,etc. will be helpful.

There can be many reasons why she has lost the use of her legs - injury, vitamin/nutritional deficiency, diseases like Marek's and reproductive/laying disorders are just a few.
Sometimes it's hard to determine the cause, so I'm glad you are able to get to a vet later in the week.

In the meantime, try to keep her hydrated, add some poultry vitamins to her water. Offer some wet feed - chick starter would be good since she hasn't started laying yet, you can also give egg, tuna, mackerel or meat.

Keep us posted on her progress.

Hi @Elky
Can you post some photos of the comb?

I'll try later and tag u.

Hi! Thanks for getting back to me to answer your questions.
1. Barred rock, 22 weeks never laid an egg
2. Purina organic layer food
3. Treats - they might get steamed vegetable scraps if we have them, or the occasional fruit. But no fats or salts. I make my own bread so sometimes they get the heel of it. And once a day I scatter scratch in their pen to get them to come in the fenced in area before roosting. About 1 cup of it.
4. They free range mostly during the day and they like the comfrey in the garden (it's almost gone) and the compost pile is a hit. (Veggie scraps, baked egg shells, garden refuse.- I try to keep coffee grounds out of it)
Her abdomen seemed tight and it was hard behind her vent.

Today I soaked her in a warm water bath and massaged around her vent and her crop (since I'm just guessing) and then I fed her two tums crushed up in water with electrolytes and water. I tried to feed her tuna and she wouldn't take it.

I wrapped her in a blanket to keep her warm. If I get another poop I will take pic and post it. She's on white paper towels now.

Thx.

Hi! Thanks for getting back to me to answer your questions.
1. Barred rock, 22 weeks never laid an egg
2. Purina organic layer food
3. Treats - they might get steamed vegetable scraps if we have them, or the occasional fruit. But no fats or salts. I make my own bread so sometimes they get the heel of it. And once a day I scatter scratch in their pen to get them to come in the fenced in area before roosting. About 1 cup of it.
4. They free range mostly during the day and they like the comfrey in the garden (it's almost gone) and the compost pile is a hit. (Veggie scraps, baked egg shells, garden refuse.- I try to keep coffee grounds out of it)
Her abdomen seemed tight and it was hard behind her vent.

Today I soaked her in a warm water bath and massaged around her vent and her crop (since I'm just guessing) and then I fed her two tums crushed up in water with electrolytes and water. I tried to feed her tuna and she wouldn't take it.

I wrapped her in a blanket to keep her warm. If I get another poop I will take pic and post it. She's on white paper towels now.

Thx.

It sounds like she's getting a lot of TLC
smile.png

Keep her hydrated that's the main thing.

I wish I had better answers, I know you are doing everything you can.

Here's another question. I've got my ailing pullet in my garage (non-heated). I have her next to the interior wall and I have numerous towels draped over her cage to keep out draft/keep in heat. I know ailing chickens do better with more heat - but like everyone else we are going into cold weather. I could add a heat pad etc - but I'm afraid she would then have to stay inside for the winter. She would get pretty lonely if I can't get her back outside. Thoughts?should I get her warm and toasty to heal or not?

Here's another question. I've got my ailing pullet in my garage (non-heated). I have her next to the interior wall and I have numerous towels draped over her cage to keep out draft/keep in heat. I know ailing chickens do better with more heat - but like everyone else we are going into cold weather. I could add a heat pad etc - but I'm afraid she would then have to stay inside for the winter. She would get pretty lonely if I can't get her back outside. Thoughts?should I get her warm and toasty to heal or not?

A sick chicken will usually benefit from a small amount of heat. A heating pad on low every few hours may be helpful, but I wouldn't add too much heat.

I put a sick hen in the house but she was too hot and the air was too dry for her. I put her back outside and she got better. only very sick chickens should be in a really warm place.

Back
Top Bottom