The EMERGENCY Thread!!!

Pics
EMERGENCY

One of my young chickens managed to escape the chicken yard and my dog got a hold of her. He tore her neck and exposed her crop. I brought her inside and tried to keep the crop covered and cleaned, but she kept picking at it and managed to rip it open. I tried so hard to keep her from bothering it, but last night she picked it completely off!! I have done plenty of research and am positive I know the answer, but is there any way to save her? If not, what is the best/quickest way to put her down? I have had chickens for 5 years now and have never had to put one down on my own. I feel bad for her since she is so young still. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Quote: Are any of these close?
South Carolina

Clinton:

Dr. Rose Marie Astorino - Avian Vet - Clinton Animal Hospital
404 Willard Rd., Clinton, SC 29325 - Tel. (864) 833-2487​
Inman:

Dr. Christy Belcher - Inman Animal Hospital - Tel. (864 )472-4185
Landrum:

Dr. Michelle Redfern
1600 E Rutherford Rd., Landrum, SC 29356 - Tel. (864) 457-3351​
Mount Pleasant:

Jose Biascoechea, D.V.M. - Birds Exotics Animal Care
814 Johnnie Dodds Blvd., Mt. Pleasant, S.C. 29464 - Tel. (843) 216-8387​
West Columbia:

P. Greg Brown, D.V.M. - Sunset Animal Clinic
127 Professional Ave., West Columbia, S.C. 29169 - Tel. (803) 791-5575​

EMERGENCY

One of my young chickens managed to escape the chicken yard and my dog got a hold of her. He tore her neck and exposed her crop. I brought her inside and tried to keep the crop covered and cleaned, but she kept picking at it and managed to rip it open. I tried so hard to keep her from bothering it, but last night she picked it completely off!! I have done plenty of research and am positive I know the answer, but is there any way to save her? If not, what is the best/quickest way to put her down? I have had chickens for 5 years now and have never had to put one down on my own. I feel bad for her since she is so young still. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to BYC. So sorry for you... The way I euthanize is the broomstick method:
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

Edited to add:
Rabbit being euthanized with broomstick
http://rabbittalk.com/post11932.html

-Kathy

Last edited:
NOT A HUGE EMERGENCY BUT PLEASE READ:

So, I have a 7-8 month old WLH hen.Her name is Harriet, she is VERY tiny and has a huge comb.She is pretty much a freak but she is SO cute and I love her SOmuch.
Over the past few days, it's been a bit chilly out, but not anything below 18F.Harriet has started to develop a VERY white tipped Comb.I have not clue, it's not Frostbite.I know that for sure.But I just brought her in a hour ago, and 20 minutes after I brought her in, her comb sTarted to go back to Pink/Red I have her inside right now and plain to all night, One cause its chilly(and she so small)and two cause of her comb.If you need pictures I can get some.

What could possibly be causing this?

NOT A HUGE EMERGENCY BUT PLEASE READ:

So, I have a 7-8 month old WLH hen.Her name is Harriet, she is VERY tiny and has a huge comb.She is pretty much a freak but she is SO cute and I love her SOmuch.
Over the past few days, it's been a bit chilly out, but not anything below 18F.Harriet has started to develop a VERY white tipped Comb.I have not clue, it's not Frostbite.I know that for sure.But I just brought her in a hour ago, and 20 minutes after I brought her in, her comb sTarted to go back to Pink/Red I have her inside right now and plain to all night, One cause its chilly(and she so small)and two cause of her comb.If you need pictures I can get some.

What could possibly be causing this?
Combs are cooling mechanisms on birds. Generally when it gets cold the blood flows to other areas of their body to keep warm. I would post some pictures but I believe you are just dealing with what happens when it gets really cold outside

Ok. So no vet. The only chicken vet in our area is out until Tuesday so it's me! I'm going to attach picture of poop I found in her pen. She doesn't seem to have any distress breathing and she sings for anyone who comes near. But she won't move. Ideas?
She hasn't laid an egg yet - but she's due anytime. I just got the first egg from the flock today

Last edited:
Ok. So no vet. The only chicken vet in our area is out until Tuesday so it's me! I'm going to attach picture of poop I found in her pen. She doesn't seem to have any distress breathing and she sings for anyone who comes near. But she won't move. Ideas?
She hasn't laid an egg yet - but she's due anytime. I just got the first egg from the flock today
have you checked her closely for mites or lice? The symptoms you describe can be that. Also could be cocci or worms. The part about her being thin could be any of the three. Can you get a poop pic on a solid flat surface? Paper towels or newspaper?

Welcome to BYC. So sorry for you... The way I euthanize is the broomstick method:
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

Edited to add:
Rabbit being euthanized with broomstick
http://rabbittalk.com/post11932.html

-Kathy

Thank you Kathy. My girl is actually doing very well. She's eating soft/mushy food and drinking water without it spilling out of her neck. The neck is healing well and the hole has closed. I was going to put her down, but she is doing great! Her poop is normal now too, which tells me she's getting the food into her stomach. It was very clear and watery. I'm keeping her in the house for awhile longer to ensure she's OK. If I see any complications I will be putting her down. Thank you again.

Back
Top Bottom