The EMERGENCY Thread!!!

Pics
PLEASE HELP EMERGENCY! One of my chickens had impacted egg. I came in coop to find her dripping blood and feathers all bloody and full of poop. Saw the egg stuck in there husband pulled it out before I could tell him to wait until I ask and she's dripping blood out of her vent. What do I do? She doesn't seem well. She is 25 weeks and 3 of my other girls just started laying 2 weeks ago and can't tell if one of them is her or if she just started laying today because I saw an extra egg in there this morning. I separated her from the rest First time with chickens don't know what I'm doing. Please tell me what to do.

Hi All,
I don't know if this Emergency page is only for chicken but I need help with my peahen.
She injured herself, not sure how, but I think she has done something to her upper left leg. She has some eyetrouble from years back and I think she flew from the roost and was unable to see where she landed. We took her in the house and she is in a huge cage. I treated her eye and hand fed her in addition to normal feed and water but I think she is starving. She does not take even lettuce from me anymore and I do not see an amount of poop I would expect to see. I also now can feel her middle bone. She is 12 years old but that is not really old at all and I would like her to pull through. Any ideas what I could do? Are there pain killers for birds, could I have a vet give her an IV? I really do not know what to do and as far as I know none of our vets are really bird people so i rather ask this group for help. Anything you can come up is greatly appreciated. Thanks..
@casportpony is the go-to for Peas but can you get her to a vet? that would be your best choice

PLEASE HELP EMERGENCY! One of my chickens had impacted egg. I came in coop to find her dripping blood and feathers all bloody and full of poop. Saw the egg stuck in there husband pulled it out before I could tell him to wait until I ask and she's dripping blood out of her vent. What do I do? She doesn't seem well. She is 25 weeks and 3 of my other girls just started laying 2 weeks ago and can't tell if one of them is her or if she just started laying today because I saw an extra egg in there this morning. I separated her from the rest First time with chickens don't know what I'm doing. Please tell me what to do.
how much blood?

Hi All,
I don't know if this Emergency page is only for chicken but I need help with my peahen.
She injured herself, not sure how, but I think she has done something to her upper left leg. She has some eyetrouble from years back and I think she flew from the roost and was unable to see where she landed. We took her in the house and she is in a huge cage. I treated her eye and hand fed her in addition to normal feed and water but I think she is starving. She does not take even lettuce from me anymore and I do not see an amount of poop I would expect to see. I also now can feel her middle bone. She is 12 years old but that is not really old at all and I would like her to pull through. Any ideas what I could do? Are there pain killers for birds, could I have a vet give her an IV? I really do not know what to do and as far as I know none of our vets are really bird people so i rather ask this group for help. Anything you can come up is greatly appreciated. Thanks..
@swiffy ,welcome to BYC!

Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy

@swiffy ,welcome to BYC!

Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy
Thanks Kathy, I did not, I was only able to speak on the phone with one. Based on his suggestions, she (Gretel) and I are sitting in our rain forest (bathroom) twice a day after running the hot shower and I got mealworms to entice her. I started hand feeding them to her and I also gave her water and this morning she has eaten all the extra worms I left for her and asked for more. At least she eats. Her leg does not seem to be broken but certainly hurt and so I carry her around and she is a lot more interested now than she was over the last 3 days. I see a silver lining... Any other suggestions Kathy?

Quote: Can you take a poop sample to the vet and have them check for worm eggs, cocccidia, bacteria, and yeast? If she were mine I would tube feed, and I can teach you how if you want to learn. Ask your vet for a size 18 french or larger catheter and a 60 ml catheter tip syringe.

-Kathy

Can you take a poop sample to the vet and have them check for worm eggs, cocccidia, bacteria, and yeast? If she were mine I would tube feed, and I can teach you how if you want to learn. Ask your vet for a size 18 french or larger catheter and a 60 ml catheter tip syringe.

-Kathy

Yes, I can and I will. And yes, if you could teach me how and how much to feed and get water into her, that would be great. If she keeps eating, do you think I still need to? She obviously lost weight, she was always a round heavy bird and now I can feel her breastbone. Not good.

Get yourself a scale and weigh her at the same time every morning. If she loses any weight, or doesn't start gaining, then tube, but if she gains, then you might be able just let her eat.

-Kathy

ok, I will do that. Thank you. I will keep you posted. Is there a limit on mealworms I should feed her? I am happy that she is eating and so I thought at least for a short period of time too much protein cannot be the issue but you know better. Thx

Get yourself a scale and weigh her at the same time every morning. If she loses any weight, or doesn't start gaining, then tube, but if she gains, then you might be able just let her eat.

-Kathy

ok, I will do that. Thank you. I will keep you posted. Is there a limit on mealworms I should feed her? I am happy that she is eating and so I thought at least for a short period of time too much protein cannot be the issue but you know better. Thx

What does her poop look like? FWIW, the scale I use is a food scale that I got at Target or Walmart, and I weigh in grams because it's easier for me to track weights and calculate doses of medications and volume of food/water to tube to track weight that way.

An adult peahen should weigh no less than 3 kg, and it's been my experience that most weigh 3.5-4 kg. let me know how much she weighs and we'll see if we can come up with a plan.

Mealworms are fine as long as her poop looks okay. Have you tried eggs? Eggs aren't as high in protein, but anything you can get in her will help.

Do get that poo sample to the vet as soon as you can, and it would be helpful so see pictures of her poop.

-Kathy

What does her poop look like? FWIW, the scale I use is a food scale that I got at Target or Walmart, and I weigh in grams because it's easier for me to track weights and calculate doses of medications and volume of food/water to tube to track weight that way.

An adult peahen should weigh no less than 3 kg, and it's been my experience that most weigh 3.5-4 kg. let me know how much she weighs and we'll see if we can come up with a plan.

Mealworms are fine as long as her poop looks okay. Have you tried eggs? Eggs aren't as high in protein, but anything you can get in her will help.

Do get that poo sample to the vet as soon as you can, and it would be helpful so see pictures of her poop.

-Kathy

I will do it tonight, take pictures, weigh her etc. She loves eggs, at least she did but she hasn't been interested in them for the last few days. Now that she is going for mealworms I will try eggs again.
Thank you Kathy, this is very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom