The EMERGENCY Thread!!!

It will most likely be ok. I don't normally put anything on mine when they have a pecking wound. If it is large and "obvious" I will, but I usually leave it be.

Blue-Kote is just an antiseptic that has a bluing (blue color) that is supposed to hide blood or redness. If it starts to bleed again, then they may pick at her, but if they are leaving her along, then I think she will be fine.

I understand the extreme flightly. I have one that would have to be on death's door before I could get her. I'm too old to chase a chicken down, so if I need to do anything with her I wait until dark. It's still a battle though, she's a fighter for sure!

Thanks for your help.... they haven't bothered her.... she is kinda like an outsider of the flock. The reason i think that is was the rooster was because she is second from the top of the pecking order and SHE is usually the one that does the pecking on the perch. But thanks again

Hi--- new to the Forum. Just adopted a White Rock sweet girl about 3 years old. Had her in a separate "house" coop with chicken wire separating her from the other 7 girls. Introductions were going fine. However, this morning --- major ruckus - . A raccoon got into her personal "house". It pushed up on the roof and climbed in. (Lesson learned)

We shooed the varmint away - but MaryLu was left with a bloody mess done to her back. I wrapped her in towels and kept her warm. She''s now inside a cat carrier - inside the house till it warms up a bit outside. She's alert. Fed her yogurt and coconut oil with a spoon.

Website says to wash wound, etc. I'm scared to death to do this. I can't hardly look at the gash. How necessary is it to rinse or wash the open wound? I put on gloves and put warmed coconut oil down her back very gently.

Do I really need to put water and/or iodine on the open gash?

Thanks so much -

Hi--- new to the Forum.   Just adopted a White Rock sweet girl about 3 years old.   Had her in a separate "house" coop with chicken wire separating her from the other 7 girls.    Introductions were going fine.  However, this morning --- major ruckus - .     A raccoon got into her personal "house". It pushed up on the roof and climbed in.  (Lesson learned)  

We shooed the varmint away - but MaryLu was left with a bloody mess done to her back.    I wrapped her in towels and kept her warm.  She''s now inside a cat carrier - inside the house till it warms up a bit outside.  She's alert.  Fed her yogurt and coconut oil with a spoon.

Website says to wash wound, etc.   I'm scared to death to do this.  I can't hardly look at the gash. [COLOR=FF0000] How necessary is it to rinse or wash the open wound?[/COLOR]      I put on gloves and put warmed coconut oil down her back very gently.

Do I really need to put water and/or iodine on the open gash?   

Thanks so much - 
It's important to wash the wound (saline is fine) to get debris and bacteria out - in short, to try to prevent infection. It sounds like you've already put coconut oil on the wound? It does have antibacterial properties, but cleaning the wound should be the first step.

You'll need to keep a close eye on the wound to ensure it's not developing infection. I think triple antibiotic ointment (without pain reliever) or Vetericyn wound healing spray would be more effective than coconut oil to prevent infection in this situation...and I'm a fan of homeopathy.

Hope your hen's recovery goes smoothly.

thank you Kathy! I'm going to make up a batch of Saline to start with and use a squirt bottle and gently spray the area. Your kind words and link to site really helped.

Hello, my chicken ( I think it's a New Hampshire Red ) has suddenly gone blind! Last Thursday my chicken went missing we thought it got killed by the local fox but she returned today! But she is blind and does this funny thing with its neck. The neck kind of starts drifting up then she struggles to get it back down to the regular position. If anyone has any diagnosis I would love them and maybe some possible ways to treat it.

[COLOR=222222]Hello, my chicken ( I think it's a [/COLOR][COLOR=FF0000]New Hampshire Red [/COLOR][COLOR=222222]) has suddenly gone blind! Last Thursday my chicken went missing we thought it got killed by the local fox but she returned today! But she is blind and does this funny thing with its neck. The neck kind of starts drifting up then she struggles to get it back down to the regular position. If anyone has any diagnosis I would love them and maybe some possible ways to treat it.  [/COLOR]

Welcome to BYC! Can you post some eye pictures? @BrowningOG

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom