The EMERGENCY Thread!!!

Pics
He got out but lost a few feathers. I'm not sure he'll make it.
add vitamins/electrolytes to the water, or if you have some sav-a-chick or similar
put neosprin on bald spots
glad he got out!
let me know if you need anything else, good luck!!

Very swollen, Hard, Hot Abdomen UPDATE
Gave her Calcium/magnesium/zinc (only source of Calcium I had and apparently magnesium can help chooks pooh)
Still giving her colloidal silver 3 times a day.
Has shown interest in eating and definitely eaten some mash and seeds.
She tucked into a load of kefir (excellent source probiotic similar to live yoghurt)
She is drinking heaps - her water has added cider apple vinegar.
She has covered my living room floor with lakes of pooh.
She is looking more lively.
Now downstairs with the flock.
Moving slowly, but showing an interest.
Abdomen still very swollen but maybe not so hard. :(
ditto to what @Wyorp Rock said, keep a close eye on her, i may try to give more calcium today
i know you said you couldnt spend much on her, but a vet is definitely the best answer, otherwise we are all just guessing
hugs.gif
good luck

Very swollen, Hard, Hot Abdomen UPDATE
Gave her Calcium/magnesium/zinc (only source of Calcium I had and apparently magnesium can help chooks pooh)
Still giving her colloidal silver 3 times a day.
Has shown interest in eating and definitely eaten some mash and seeds.
She tucked into a load of kefir (excellent source probiotic similar to live yoghurt)
She is drinking heaps - her water has added cider apple vinegar.
She has covered my living room floor with lakes of pooh.
She is looking more lively.
Now downstairs with the flock.
Moving slowly, but showing an interest.
Abdomen still very swollen but maybe not so hard. :(
looks that she is getting better.

kefir is even better than yogurt. colloidal silver and acv are good too. I hope your next post will say that she got well!

UPDATE: VERY SWOLLEN, HARD, HOT, ABDOMEN.
She's much happier this morning. Was actually making little noises at me.
Walked well to get to the chook pen when I took her downstairs.
Eating and drinking but not so much water.
Only one pooh overnight.
Poohing smaller puddles except for one huge one. Maybe it is the magnesium that makes her pooh so much?
Still giving her colloidal silver three times a day and ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) in hers and the flock's water.
Will crush a calcium, magnesium, zinc tablet up in some apple later, didn't give her one yesterday.
I have to admit there is more green in the pooh now. some white, some clear and green. I know that's bad. :(
Fingers crossed.

UPDATE: VERY SWOLLEN, HARD, HOT, ABDOMEN.
She's much happier this morning. Was actually making little noises at me.
Walked well to get to the chook pen when I took her downstairs.
Eating and drinking but not so much water.
Only one pooh overnight.
Poohing smaller puddles except for one huge one. Maybe it is the magnesium that makes her pooh so much?
Still giving her colloidal silver three times a day and ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) in hers and the flock's water.
Will crush a calcium, magnesium, zinc tablet up in some apple later, didn't give her one yesterday.
I have to admit there is more green in the pooh now. some white, some clear and green. I know that's bad. :(
Fingers crossed.
green in the poop usually is bacteria. you are giving her enough staff for fighting that.

in my experience with red sex link hens poop was water/jelly water, then water with white, next water with white and green and finally normal. if they don't eat a lot their poop is more watery.

2 of mine had trouble before started to lay after the big molt. but once they laid an egg they turned to normal.

I have a male polish about 9 months old, I found him laying on his side this morning legs fully extended. He is moving his head and neck but not sitting or standing. Won't move his legs any other way but straight out. Is eyes look clear, little bit if a stuffy nose sound when he breathes. He was fine last night.

I have a male polish about 9 months old, I found him laying on his side this morning legs fully extended. He is moving his head and neck but not sitting or standing. Won't move his legs any other way but straight out. Is eyes look clear, little bit if a stuffy nose sound when he breathes. He was fine last night.
any others showing symptoms?
can you get him to a vet?

Last edited:
can it be injury?

I have recently had a case like that with a hen. I gave her aspirin so within 30 minutes she was able to sit (but not walk).

She was back on her perch when I got in yesterday only the 2nd time she has made it. Today I can see even more improvement. Her head is almost moving off her shoulders, the abdomenal swelling is definitely reduced. I had forgotten electrolytes. Will give her some coconut water (I keep forgetting). She's still not rushing around, but she's eating, drinking and keeping with the flock.
Thanks for all the encouragement. I'm really hoping the lakes of pooh are a diuretic effect, draining the abdomen. Not sure what part of the treatment is the diuretic. Although it started after the first time I gave her the Cal/mag/zinc tab and also after she flew out of my arms and rolled down 3 stairs.

I've given her:

Colloidal silver twice or three times daily. Some times I have to use the dropper to put it in her mouth and sometimes she'll drink it from the dropper as I squeeze it into my hand.
1/4 Calcium, zinc, magnesium tablet mixed with my fermented breakfast cereal most days
Kefir
Regular chicken mash
water with ACV.

The chooks love kefir and the grains are cheap to buy. The only cost after that is milk. The grains just keep growing so you can give them to your friends. It is a pain to make. Best option if it's only for animal consumption is to make enough for a week in one go and store the grains and the kefir in the fridge. I also put egg shells in - they get dissolved so the chooks are getting calcium as well.

She was back on her perch when I got in yesterday only the 2nd time she has made it. Today I can see even more improvement. Her head is almost moving off her shoulders, the abdomenal swelling is definitely reduced. I had forgotten electrolytes. Will give her some coconut water (I keep forgetting). She's still not rushing around, but she's eating, drinking and keeping with the flock.
Thanks for all the encouragement. I'm really hoping the lakes of pooh are a diuretic effect, draining the abdomen. Not sure what part of the treatment is the diuretic. Although it started after the first time I gave her the Cal/mag/zinc tab and also after she flew out of my arms and rolled down 3 stairs.

I've given her:

Colloidal silver twice or three times daily. Some times I have to use the dropper to put it in her mouth and sometimes she'll drink it from the dropper as I squeeze it into my hand.
1/4 Calcium, zinc, magnesium tablet mixed with my fermented breakfast cereal most days
Kefir
Regular chicken mash
water with ACV.

The chooks love kefir and the grains are cheap to buy. The only cost after that is milk. The grains just keep growing so you can give them to your friends. It is a pain to make. Best option if it's only for animal consumption is to make enough for a week in one go and store the grains and the kefir in the fridge. I also put egg shells in - they get dissolved so the chooks are getting calcium as well.

Glad to hear she is improving
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom