The EMERGENCY Thread!!!

Pics
She was back on her perch when I got in yesterday only the 2nd time she has made it. Today I can see even more improvement. Her head is almost moving off her shoulders, the abdomenal swelling is definitely reduced. I had forgotten electrolytes. Will give her some coconut water (I keep forgetting). She's still not rushing around, but she's eating, drinking and keeping with the flock.
Thanks for all the encouragement. I'm really hoping the lakes of pooh are a diuretic effect, draining the abdomen. Not sure what part of the treatment is the diuretic. Although it started after the first time I gave her the Cal/mag/zinc tab and also after she flew out of my arms and rolled down 3 stairs.

I've given her:

Colloidal silver twice or three times daily. Some times I have to use the dropper to put it in her mouth and sometimes she'll drink it from the dropper as I squeeze it into my hand.
1/4 Calcium, zinc, magnesium tablet mixed with my fermented breakfast cereal most days
Kefir
Regular chicken mash
water with ACV.

The chooks love kefir and the grains are cheap to buy. The only cost after that is milk. The grains just keep growing so you can give them to your friends. It is a pain to make. Best option if it's only for animal consumption is to make enough for a week in one go and store the grains and the kefir in the fridge. I also put egg shells in - they get dissolved so the chooks are getting calcium as well.

I think she's almost OK. She's no longer walking as if she has spent the day on a horse. The swelling is gone. She's back full time with the flock. Gave her a last colloidal silver dose and tomorrow will give her the last calcium/magnesium and zinc. (forgot today).
She's eating, drinking and sleeping with the flock. Still not running around like a young'un but not too bad.

4 month old silkie rooster, weakness, labored breathing, yellow plaques in his mouth, shivering but not cold. I was out of town, husband said Roo seemed cold, so he put him in a box with a towel in the pen. Normally, he is in the coop with the girls, but I was going to be out of town and he started attacking one of the girls Thursday, so I put him in a covered pen next to them. He is going down fast, so please help. I gave a dose of baytril this morning, and swabbed his throat with some vetRX a little bit ago. I can take him to the vet in the morning if he makes it, but I doubt he will if nothing changes.

8:13 EST: I think he may have just had a seizure. Please hurry if you know anything

Last edited:

4 month old silkie rooster, weakness, labored breathing, yellow plaques in his mouth, shivering but not cold. I was out of town, husband said Roo seemed cold, so he put him in a box with a towel in the pen. Normally, he is in the coop with the girls, but I was going to be out of town and he started attacking one of the girls Thursday, so I put him in a covered pen next to them. He is going down fast, so please help. I gave a dose of baytril this morning, and swabbed his throat with some vetRX a little bit ago. I can take him to the vet in the morning if he makes it, but I doubt he will if nothing changes.

8:13 EST: I think he may have just had a seizure. Please hurry if you know anything
all you can do now is keep him warm, quiet, and stress free. Put him in a dark cage with a towel over it to block light needed. The plaque in his mouth needs to be removed but if he is that sick tonight I wouldn't stress him more by removing them. Get him to the vet first in the morning. I'll keep everything :fl for you

I think she's almost OK. She's no longer walking as if she has spent the day on a horse. The swelling is gone. She's back full time with the flock. Gave her a last colloidal silver dose and tomorrow will give her the last calcium/magnesium and zinc. (forgot today).
She's eating, drinking and sleeping with the flock. Still not running around like a young'un but not too bad.

Just discovered that magnesium is a mild diuretic. It reduces edema (swelling due to lymph system failure). So lucky that the only calcium I had was in the form of a calcium/magnesium/zinc tablet.

Just about to give her another dose. He abdomen just feels mushy now. She's walking normally and skittish enough to get out of my way when I'm trying to catch her.

Re:Silkie having troubles laying!
Hi I have an 11 month Silkie hen who has 7 week old chicks (now separated) She started laying again ten days ago and every day since is agitated, scratching and vocalising for about three hours before she lays her egg. She went 10 hours in distress in 40' heat but finally laid her egg on the way to the vets the other day! On vet advice I am keeping up the shellgrit and she is on a good layer mix now bit still eats the chick starter. What could be the problem it is hard to see her in distress every day. She has always been a prolific layer and never had a problem laying before going broody ten weeks ago.

New Emergency: Very swollen, Hard, Hot Abdomen
UPDATE:
She drank the colloidal silver from my hand this morning.
She also drank water from bowl.
Has eaten a tiny amount of dry mash
She's looking the worst she has. Very still, head in (as per top picture)
There was an amazingly large pooh beside where she was sleeping last night (2nd picture)
Swollen abdomen pic 3)
Legs wide apart yesterday (4th pic)
1) What type of bird , age and weight isla Brown cross; 3Yrs old, feels very skinny except abdomen and quite heavy because of abdomen
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Standing around, not eating much, a little apart from flock.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Around a week
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? NO
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. NO
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Unknown
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. water, mash, insects
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. mostly very running. Very occasionally firm
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Oil around her vent and slightly inside (4 days ago)
Warm bath 4 days ago and today
Colloidal silver via a dropper 3 times a day for 4 days.
She is up and down. I thought she was responding, her abdomen was cooler (but not cool) but she's back to mooching around the yard. I bring her in most nights.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? I want to fix her myself if at all possible. I think the prognosis is bad so unwilling to fork out $110 for starters...
Thanks for this thread.

Just discovered that magnesium is a mild diuretic. It reduces edema (swelling due to lymph system failure). So lucky that the only calcium I had was in the form of a calcium/magnesium/zinc tablet.

Just about to give her another dose. He abdomen just feels mushy now. She's walking normally and skittish enough to get out of my way when I'm trying to catch her.

Last edited:
NEW EMERGENCY) I have a I think a Bantam breed chicken her name is Humptey-Dumptey and just the other day I checked on my chickens and they were on the perch sleeping like normal including her then the next morning she was on the chicken house sitting down with her wing spread out so I knew something had to be wrong so I tried moving her but all she did was flop around trying to walk. I had to go to school at the time so I left her in the house. When I got home she had flopped out of the house into the run but was in the same condition except wet cause it had been raining. So I thought it might be a leg/foot problem considering she couldn't walk and she's had scaley leg mites before so I checked it out. I inspected her legs but couldn't find anything wrong besides a possible squishy bottom of foot. She drinks lots of water and I think still eats(notsurecauseshewonteatinfrontofme) her comb and wattles are still red and she seems to act normal-ish it's just she can't walk and she is now shaking and I don't think she's cold. I had poured hydrogen peroxide on her legs and feet just in case she had a cut and wrapped them up and separated her from the others. I end up unwrapping them cause she unwrapped one. Later on I found a what I think was a dot of blood on her leg but i didn't think this would affect her that much and especially since she's shaking. I think it could be either a mineral deficiency or something happened to her nervous system and made her paralyzed and shake. But she has laying pellets and oyster shells for calcium so I just DONT KNOW!
1f62b.png
she's back with the other chickens now cause it does not seem to be a disease. But still in the same condition. Getting her some Gatorade to maybe perk her up I hope it works!! Oh and i gave her some Vet RX stuff to see if it would help I don't think it did. Please help

NEW EMERGENCY) I have a I think a Bantam breed chicken her name is Humptey-Dumptey and just the other day I checked on my chickens and they were on the perch sleeping like normal including her then the next morning she was on the chicken house sitting down with her wing spread out so I knew something had to be wrong so I tried moving her but all she did was flop around trying to walk. I had to go to school at the time so I left her in the house. When I got home she had flopped out of the house into the run but was in the same condition except wet cause it had been raining. So I thought it might be a leg/foot problem considering she couldn't walk and she's had scaley leg mites before so I checked it out. I inspected her legs but couldn't find anything wrong besides a possible squishy bottom of foot. She drinks lots of water and I think still eats(notsurecauseshewonteatinfrontofme) her comb and wattles are still red and she seems to act normal-ish it's just she can't walk and she is now shaking and I don't think she's cold. I had poured hydrogen peroxide on her legs and feet just in case she had a cut and wrapped them up and separated her from the others. I end up unwrapping them cause she unwrapped one. Later on I found a what I think was a dot of blood on her leg but i didn't think this would affect her that much and especially since she's shaking. I think it could be either a mineral deficiency or something happened to her nervous system and made her paralyzed and shake. But she has laying pellets and oyster shells for calcium so I just DONT KNOW!
1f62b.png
she's back with the other chickens now cause it does not seem to be a disease. But still in the same condition. Getting her some Gatorade to maybe perk her up I hope it works!! Oh and i gave her some Vet RX stuff to see if it would help I don't think it did. Please help

Wow, I lost my Bantam last December and I feel for you. I'm not 100% sure if the shaking and paralysis are connected. could she have glass in her foot, seeing you poured hydrogen peroxide on her legs which draws out impurities? My Bantam was shaking and it got worse in the end had to put her down due to a neurological disease,don't delay see if you can get an Avian vet's advice.

Back
Top Bottom