The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

That is why I do not put lights in my coop until late February or even March - that time off from laying lets them plump up and resist the cold better, and lets them replenish their stores of calcium and pigments.
Yeah, I agree, I never light my coops. There is a 4W night light just for minimal light for us is we go out there or so if someone falls, they may be able to see a tiny bit to get back up, but nothing that would trigger/prolong laying.

When mine are in molt, I up the protein, and calcium. I switch to a show feed, and a couple times a week feed them cat foot, canned mackerel, eggs with the eggshell in it, and extra mealworms. It seems to help them a lot. That's usually the only time I switch them from their normal feed.

Years ago, I bought a pullet that had very poor feather quality. I got her looking good, and then she went into molt. That poor little hen lost every feather overnight, and didn't have a lot of energy. She looked pathetic, and quit laying. I was looking into my SOP birds at the time, so I got a bag of show feed. I fed some to her. Lo, and behold she began laying, and getting little feather shafts all over. She looked like a hedgehog chicken, with all the prickles all over. I continued with the show feed, until she was fully feathered, and they were good feathers. Not poor quality, like before. After she finished molting, I put her back on her regular feed. The next year, she lost feathers in sections, not all of them at once. Of course, when she first began to molt, I changed her feed. I can't get the type feed here that you get, so I have to incorporate some animal protein into their diet during molt. It helps a lot.

My normal feed is already 22% protein and I'm willing to bet that the show feed is that or lower anyway. I may supplement a little bit with probiotics, flax seed and/or just add vitamin supplements, but generally, they get a good diet year-round.

Hedgehog chicken is a good description of poor Zara right now. She is miserable, poor baby. There is nowhere I can comfortably pick her up if I wanted to. I have some beef liver frozen left over, could give her some shredded in an egg here and there, but she needs to rest until the feathers start in good.

From 2015. I figured if she was going to have to come into the house (It was in the 20's outside), I might as well put her to work doing something.

Hedgehog Broody 2015
hedgehog broody 2.jpg

The showbird feed is 24%, so you're close enough with what you're already feeding them. Just make sure they get some animal protein too. I know the feed you were using was really good stuff, and had animal protein, not just vegetable protein. I like to use the showbird feed for chicks, but get them off of it when they begin to lay. I also like it during molt. Otherwise, I find the protein content to be just a tad too high, and keeping them on it, interferes with their laying.

Back
Top Bottom