The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

I was disabling embedding on some videos and may have on that one. I'll have to check on that, Mary. But, it does have a link to watch on YouTube so at least, it's not unavailable.
I dread going out this morning. She may be gone. Sweet gorgeous old lady. Atlas will be beside himself. Wynette and MaryJo were his fav hens and Wynette was head hen in that small group.

She is still here, but won't be that much longer. She did stand up, but she's so weak and that smell is awful. Atlas will have only two hens left. Not sure what the heck to do about that. I just gave five hens to Hector. Except for Wendy, they seem to be getting along with him okay, but I could give Atlas Zara and Athena, maybe. Zara seems to adapt pretty well. She's not afraid of Hector at all. Athena and Wendy avoid him like the plague.

We found Wynette had gone on to that Great Roost in the Sky overnight. She was in the floor under a warm ceramic heat bulb, obviously had been gone a few hours. Both her niece, Druscilla, and Gloria Jean were laying next to her with their heads draped over her body. Poor Atlas was walking around the pen, lost. Tell me they have no emotions, tell me they do not grieve and we'll come to blows! They have such dignity, such caring for each other, people cannot imagine unless they have seen it for themselves. Wynette was the head hen in that group and they were showing their Queen the proper respect at her passing.
We will miss her so much. She was so beautiful, big, strong and with a huge personality. Atlas has now lost his two favorite hens in the space of two weeks, bless his heart. His group used to include Dru's mother, Dottie, and Atlas's mother, Ida. Wynette would have turned 9 years old on April 6.

Few hens were the eye candy that she was. Thanks, Cheryl. I love them all, but big old Wynette, so gorgeous, no one would dare have bossed her around her entire life other than her sister, Ida. I hate seeing empty spaces in the barn, but there are quite a few left to lose before all the old ones are gone, so guess I'd better brace myself.

speckledhen, you are at a point that you need to consider contacting some of the people you sold chickens to, and see if any have kept the breed up, then get some younger stock. Don't let chicken math get to you, and overdo it. With Tom's back, you want to downsize a little, but you don't want to be completely without chickens (BRs) in the next couple years either. But again, you have the Delawares, so you may prefer to keep them instead.

Back
Top Bottom