The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

speckledhen, you are at a point that you need to consider contacting some of the people you sold chickens to, and see if any have kept the breed up, then get some younger stock. Don't let chicken math get to you, and overdo it. With Tom's back, you want to downsize a little, but you don't want to be completely without chickens (BRs) in the next couple years either. But again, you have the Delawares, so you may prefer to keep them instead.

I don't really think I want to do that anymore. I love my Stukel line Rocks, best Rocks ever, and those would be the ones I want, but I have no idea who has them now, the ones without Atlas's blood. I cannot reach William Bennett, the breeder I got them from, not even sure he has them now. I may end up with a few mixed hens and another little Xander lookalike for a lookout for them, less than a dozen birds altogether. I love the Brahmas, but dang, they can really chow down and empty a feeder!

Oh, on a bright note, Alice is completely healed on her side, no scab at all. She spent the day with June and Georgie (June still likes to make sure she knows who is in charge) and for the first time since she was injured, she went to the bottom of the pen and was dustbathing with them. Her neck is still twisted weird, but she manages to get around. Today was so warm, the barn got up to 75*! All week it will be in the 60's outside, like spring. They all got to feel the sun on their backs today.

Merry Christmas Everyone.

santamoon.gif

One of my barred Holland pullets layed her first little pale creamy egg today :D
How awesome! I love those first eggs. My birds are beginning to lay more now, getting about a half dozen per day.

And Happy New Year, friends
Same to you and everyone else here!

Back
Top Bottom