The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

Yes, I saw that. The chews generally don't have the same dosages. Tom has not been coughing today, only moaning in pain. I'm so tired of him just barely existing. He put a call into the surgeon's office to see what the next step might be, but he has no life. And it's hard to do everything here, take care of ancient chickens, the needy cat, try to get a quilt finished and do other stuff while I hear these cries of pain from the next room.

This morning, as Dd #1, and I were getting ready to go to the State Fair, she mentioned that she got up around 3 am to get a drink of water, and there was a raccoon trying to get into the coop. I mentioned it to Dh. He said something about getting a live trap. I told him that for the next 3 nights, anytime a predator comes up to the coop (the camera has an audible alarm too) I will go out with the tractor, and chase if off. After 3 nights, any predator that has not learned to stay way, I will go out, and shoot it. He was horrified.

Tonight, he decided to review last night's footage from that camera. You know that Geico commercial where he wants a man cave, and she wants nature? Well, I've got my own Geico commercial going on behind my coop. 1 opossum, 4 raccoons (mama and 3 youngsters), and 2 rats ran from my coop, into the field. (I just bought more rat baits, and will put them out in the morning, so that will solve that part of the problem). Dh was semi-freaking out about all the wildlife trying to get in, behind my coop. Suddenly, he remembered the electric fencing I bought 2 years ago, and have tried getting him to put posts for me to run the fencing. He's fought me tooth, and toenail about putting up electric fencing. Well, HE's' suddenly got this great idea to put up electric fencing, when he's off work this weekend.

DH needs to get on board with you, eh, Cheryl?? My DH did not take his 2nd dose of elderberry and was coughing last night. I didn't know that, but this a.m., I said, you forgot your second swig, didn't you? Yep, he did. It does make a difference!
I'm not sure it was elderberry that caused my issues. I may have a problem with peanut butter. I grabbed a big tablespoon, as in piled high, for a snack mid afternoon the day of the night I felt so awful. Yesterday I avoided the elderberry but had peanut butter for a snack and I still had some issues. So, I may have blamed the wrong thing.

Anyway, my lack of appetite lately has apparently paid off, plus the herbal supplement I've been taking for a couple of months. I have dropped the 10+ lbs I've been trying to lose for years. Even eating almost nothing didn't do it so the green tea-based herbal thing I'm taking has really made a difference. Not sure I'd tell anyone else to take it without knowing their medications or their health issues first, of course, but I tried it and it did make a huge difference. Back in 1995, when I became a realtor, my thyroid was only borderline, making it difficult to lose, but my weight was only about 10 lb higher than in college at that time. Slowly it started piling up no matter what I did and by the time I was 45 lb heavier, I hit the magic numbers and went on Synthroid, slowly lost about 20 lb, then agonizing lost another 10, but the last chunk has hung on for years and years, in spite of all my efforts until I took a chance on this stuff. That, plus stress over Tom and another situation I was embroiled in with someone with NPD (Narcissistic Personality Disorder) have added to my lack of appetite.
I'm within less than 6 lb of where I started in 1995, while poor Tom has piled on weight and a gut that can't help his issues. Oddly enough, Tom added a lower gut pooch that seemed to appear overnight, not just the part that is at and above the belt. It was just there one day and I keep saying it alarms me, that his diet didn't change and it seems ominous to me.

Adding to my novel, Amanda seems to be on her way out. She would be 13 next month, laid eggs just last April, but she has no body mass and has no appetite unless I bring her some soft food. She guzzled water yesterday until she was upchucking it constantly, something many of my dying hens used to do. Georgie, though, my Delaware, is now 11 years old and seemed to fully recover from what looked exactly like a stroke awhile back. She is a very strong hen, that big white girl!

MAy I ask how you do your worming?

I generally hold the chicken like a football except same hand is pulling their wattles down and that opens their mouth. Then I use a 1ml syringe and put it in all the to the back of the throat and shoot. I figure if I put the syringe in to the back of their throat it passes the trachea.

Last edited:
Facing the chicken, you put it on the left side of their mouth. Reverse, when holding the chicken in a football hold, and not facing the chicken.
5533562.jpg

Congratulations on finally getting those few extra pounds off.

I'm glad to hear the elderberry is helping with Tom's cough. He's got enough going on, without having to deal with coughing through the night.

I'm sorry to hear about Amanda going downhill, but it shouldn't be too unexpected. She's had 13 years of a wonderful life for a chicken. That's almost as long as most dogs, and cats live. A tribute to your wonderful care, for sure.

We went to the State Fair yesterday. I walked for hours, and finally broke down, and rented a handicap scooter for the rest of the day. I didn't even get out of the parking lot good, and the whole crew fell asleep, slept through the ride home. The youngest grandchild, once we got home, was wide awake. It's like she took a power nap. Needless to say, I'm moving a bit slow today. I did go out 3 times last night, on the tractor, and chased off critters. The last time I had to go out, was about 1:30 am. No more critters after that. I will keep vigil again tonight.

Back
Top Bottom