The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

In this group’s opinion, would an apple core a day be too much for a group of seven pullets? The seeds are removed and the cores are broken into small pieces. The group is in a covered run without ability to free range and I like to add variety to their diet and just their day by giving them healthy treats.

I wanted to ask this group because after all of that reading I know ya’ll to be intelligent and level headed and I trust everyone’s opinion here.
Why would an apple core cause any problems. I NEver take out seeds.

Especially, if it's warm out, and you refrigerate the cores. It's not only a great treat, but will help cool them down.
Oh good! They probably need that what with being somewhere between 95°-102° on any given day. They get so excited for them too. It’s the only fruit they like besides watermelon
Dh has been checking every day, for one. When he logged into newegg.com, it told him there was a small limited supply (first come, first serve) available, at the better price. He ordered it immediately. He also ordered a couple more hard drives. He got a confirmation, saying the order was processed, and the items are being shipped. YAY!!!!
I love when I can do that! Great feeling!
Why would an apple core cause any problems. I NEver take out seeds.
I wasn’t sure if it was one of those things that’s better in moderation. I’m super new to chickens. Like, we’ve only owned ours for 15 weeks. I figured I could ask

Keep the treats in moderation. My younger chickens don't care for ANYTHING new at first, even some foods. Be sure to pick up the older cores, and just keep trying. It doesn't take long, and it's not new anymore, and they'll be looking forward to it.

Keep the treats in moderation. My younger chickens don't care for ANYTHING new at first, even some foods. Be sure to pick up the older cores, and just keep trying. It doesn't take long, and it's not new anymore, and they'll be looking forward to it.
I don’t ever have leftover cores. The cores are a treat they love, I just wanted to make sure it was a treat that couldn’t cause harm in excess, and that a singular core 5 days a week for 7 pullets wasn’t excessive.

They also love squash, radish leaves, frozen watermelon, cucumbers, and any animal protein. I wanted to try parsley, even though I don’t think they’ll like it honestly

Their main nutritional needs, should come from their chicken feed. It's a balanced diet, for optimal health. Treats are fine in moderation. An apple core a day, for 7 is not too much.

Their nutritional needs do come from their food, mostly. I want to add the healthiest treats as possible for the fact they’re in a covered run that’s smaller than I care for, and I want to add stimulation and novelty in some way

To preemptively answer any questions about why I don’t expand their run, these aren’t technically my chickens. They’re my mom’s and her boyfriend’s and they’re unwilling to set aside more room on the property. So I‘m trying do what I can to add stimulation to keep them healthy and happy

Oh good! They probably need that what with being somewhere between 95°-102° on any given day. They get so excited for them too. It’s the only fruit they like besides watermelon

I love when I can do that! Great feeling!

I wasn’t sure if it was one of those things that’s better in moderation. I’m super new to chickens. Like, we’ve only owned ours for 15 weeks. I figured I could ask
i think all treats are better in moderation.

Their nutritional needs do come from their food, mostly. I want to add the healthiest treats as possible for the fact they’re in a covered run that’s smaller than I care for, and I want to add stimulation and novelty in some way

To preemptively answer any questions about why I don’t expand their run, these aren’t technically my chickens. They’re my mom’s and her boyfriend’s and they’re unwilling to set aside more room on the property. So I‘m trying do what I can to add stimulation to keep them healthy and happy
That’s nice that you really care about them.

That’s nice that you really care about them.

I do care and I’m trying to do what I can for enrichment. I plan to grow them fodder/sprouted grains and I’m contemplating a mealworm farm. Though I might not have enough chickens to justify that. I’d like to get them a low swing and maybe hang up old CDs as well. I’m reading up on other ways to amuse them as well

The silver lining is that I now know what I do and don’t want for my own future flock. I want to put up a mister for them to help keep them cool. I want lightly built birds like leg horns who seem to tolerate the heat better. I want a larger coop and a much larger run if I can’t free range them.

Back
Top Bottom