The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

Must be one of those rare 4-legged "Chernobyl Chickens".
122439719_10221742513066462_4067318305598640592_n.jpg

I thought about raising four legged chickens, but they eat so much more food then the regular two-legged ones :cool:
Wow , I didn't know that. I definitely want to skip the 4-legged Brahmas then. They already clean out their feeder daily as it is with two legs, sheesh.

Well, Beta (oops, ZETA, not Beta, stuck on The Walking Dead character) got us. Had a 6 hour power outage, was putting on my clothes at 7 a.m. and it went out. So black that time of morning now, especially in a storm. It uprooted a mature oak tree just behind the barn pen, as you can see. If it had fallen away from the pen more, it would have cut the power lines, considering how tall the tree is, but that was a moot point since there were probably trees down all over the county anyway causing the outage. I think the pasture fence was flattened by a deer in a panic when the oak fell. They jump that all the time so she had to be making a sudden jump to miscalculate that badly.
DSC07042.JPG
DSC07043.JPG
DSC07044.JPG
DSC07046.JPG
DSC07045.JPG

Last edited:
Check your homeowner's insurance. With the power outage, you might need a few new fridge, etc. Damaged sheds need to be replaced. Trees fall under landscaping. Most pay for septic to be pumped, and cleaned after a storm. Any tools, and supplies you purchase to help make your own repairs, are covered. Call FEMA, and they will turn you over to the SBA, and you can get a very low interest loan, with easy payments. Any insurance you get, will be applied to the loan. As long as the money is spent on fixing up the home, and you turn in the receipts, you're good.

I don't think I'll involve the insurance company for this. They already jacked up our rates a ton and are not easy to work with. I can get someone to help cut this widow-maker down for firewood next year. It was alive and healthy enough so will have to season for awhile to use in the wood stove. Beta also removed the house antenna we no longer use so Tom will have to just remove the holder that it partially tore off as well.

The one we got hit with, damaged our roof, tore out all the screens on the patio, hit us with a power surge (lightening) that damaged the appliances, blew out the pump, etc. Insurance covered a lot, but not all. The FEMA SBA loan, covered everything the insurance didn't, and made it very easy for us to pay it back.

Yeah, this could have been much, much worse. The last hurricane that did any real damage here took out a much larger oak by the roots at the back of the old chicken pen and crushed the corner of the pen itself. We seem to squeak out of harm's way by the hair of our chinny-chin-chins, as they say. Still trying to clean the huge water tanks out, turning them one way then the other. Almost time to do the final rinse. Pulled out our crank-and/or solar powered radio to charge it in the afternoon sun. Had to charge my Kindle this morning with my Kodiak generator. I love that thing, though it was super pricey.

Back
Top Bottom