The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
Okay, I hate the search feature now! I cannot find a dang thing . If I do, the link to it always says "oops" and won't go there. GRRRR! I just wanted to find the thread entitled "d'anver lovers" by Boggy Bottom Bantams and the search is completely useless to me. I wanted to tell him that I still have the originals hatched from his eggs other than Carly and that Spike, who is 3rd generation and about 8 years old has some sort of neurological issue and I may lose him soon. But, no, I would have to go through hundreds of pages just to find the thread that started years ago. Is anyone else having issues with the search here? I can't use it at all.

ETA: I found that only the advanced search works, not the initial one. I found it. Geez.

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
Check out what's going on with my younger (well, he's almost 8) Belgian D'Anver rooster, Spike. The video is just over 10 minutes, but there are time stamps at 5:12 and 9:50 with specific things I wanted people to see besides his general demeanor and way he's moving now . Any ideas what the heck is the deal with him? He can't drink without throwing his head backward and touching his back, even losing his balance and he is walking and lurching his neck forward oddly when he does. Plus, he is having difficulting picking up food as you can see at 5:12. But he's crowing still so not sure what happened to poor Spike. There is more story to it than those time stamps in the video, but if you want to skip to those sections for expediency's sake, I put them up here. Did he have a stroke? Something else? Seems neurological, but I'm not expert on this stuff. Carly did have those intense seizures a couple of years back, if you recall, and we had to euthanize her.

1muttsfan

Up Northerner
Mar 26, 2011
Upper Peninsula Michigan
Well that was certainly very interesting. I would agree that it looks like there's something neurological going on. He appears a little hypermetric - that is, his movements are exaggerated. Both that and the head stretching backwards like that (which is called opisthotonus) are signs associated with the cerebellum (brainstem). think of the exaggerated movements of someone with Parkinson's disease.
There are, unfortunately, a multitude of different possible diagnoses including tumors, stroke, infection, and parasites. In older animals tumors become a bigger concern. It would probably be very difficult and costly to rule out exactly what is causing his signs.
If Aubrey picks on him too much you may have to consider separating him, maybe with a girlfriend or two. And all likelihood he will start having trouble making it to a perch on his own, or being able to stay there once he is on a roost. He is already having difficulty picking up his food, but being unable to drink is a bigger concern.
My goodness Cyn it seems so unfair for you, even though those little packing peanuts are mostly ornamental they are still quite sweet.

Top Bottom