The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

And I can't seem to make Brandy's crop actually empty. Smells sour now. It's loose, but seems to be becoming pendulous. She is so much smaller than the other Brahma hens after her extreme molt and resulting weight loss and the crop thing is making that worse. What would you do at this point for her? I limit her feed, no scratch, been giving her a little soft food in the mornings and massaging the food to push it through as much as possible, make sure she is drinking water, but I'm at a loss. I'm weary of these Brahma crop issues. I even tried the lemon juice/cinnamon/ginger/chili powder/cayenne solution that helped another one to flush out the doughy crop, but it didn't work on her that well.
On better news, Aubrey's spur is fine. Spike is still a little terrorist, has the odd movements, but not as exaggerated as they were previously. He even flogged me today for some unknown reason, that little goober-head.

I'm glad to hear Spike is doing better, that little devil.

As far as Brandy it sounds like you are doing what you can. Sounds like it is some motility disorder, and those are often related to decreased nerve function. No fixing that.
I realize that pendulous crop is not fixable and barely manageable. Suede's hens and their daughters often suffered from it, too. This morning, Brandy had less in her crop for sure, though it wasn't empty. Today she had only water and midday, Tom took her a couple of tablespoons of plain yogurt in a tub to mess around with, though she is not one to really love it. At least it isn't solid food. I hate for her to be separated, but if she isn't, she'll eat.

Georgie looks so tired. Her eyes look sunken and the light is leaving them. She is usually very spunky, but she is close to ready to leave us. Been here too many times to not know that. Thankfully, it does seem to be truly old age, though she does have what I feel is a fibrous crop tumor. That has been there for a long time.

I'm sorry you're losing Georgie. At almost 12 years old, I agree it's more old age than anything else, and it's her time. It's good she had such a long live, and that's a testament to how well you cared for her. I know it doesn't make it any easier, and the loss will be felt.

You know, I said that Spike has been better lately. Last night at roost time, he was standing on the floor, swaying a little, half asleep and looking just a bit off. Aubrey and the two girls were already side by side on the roost. I decided to put him up on the roost and it was too easy to catch him and when he ran, he lost his balance. I did put him up there so he'd be warmer. Sometime during the night, Tom came to me and said he heard strange noises out there and he had to go investigate. When he came back, he said Spike was acting oddly, as if he'd stroked out. One of his legs was shaking terribly, but he was on the roost and he didn't want to stress him by trying to pick him up and place him in the floor nest. I have not been out there yet today, slept later.
Today is our 45th anniversary and of course, we'll spend it like always, at home. He asked if I wanted to do something today, but what would I do? I never leave this place, no real desire to go "out there" amongst those scary creatures, LOL.

Thanks, Mary

Oh, Spike is still with us, but his entire body is shaking. The others are fine. It's cold, but not super frigid today and they have a heat lamp because of their age and size and Spike's known issues. So, even standing near the heat, he is shaking. Poor little Spikers. Usually, I'd want to pick him up and hold and comfort him as what may be a dying bird, but it only stresses him out, so I talk to him a lot in as soothing of a voice as I can muster.

Back
Top Bottom