The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

Not early enough is what I keep hearing too. This yr. unless I can get chicks I do not think I will have chicks. After the feasko with the little jub. orps I have tried to set some eggs from next door. ( I gave her the start two yrs ago.) her roo is not fertilizing the eggs. Sigh.. This morning the hen who was setting on the eggs has sour crop. I took her off to candle and the eggs were all clear.. Well i do get a breather and hopefully some Jubb later also some marans. Chicks from some one else.
\Cyn how do you treat your hens with sour crop???

GJ that is too bad! Sometimes hatching can be very discouraging. Please do not be too unhappy, there are more chicks around the corner for you, I just know it. One year I hatched only 2 chicks out of 3 dozen shipped eggs - ugh.

I am currently having the opposite problem, candled the first 47 eggs set last week, and only 2 are clear - Eeek! With shipped eggs you are never sure about how they will develop, so I though, better more than fewer. The other 50 or so just went in on Thursday. I am kind of hoping they do not all hatch! If I have too many extras I can probably take them to Chickenstock. I hope.

Thankyou ! I hope I will have some marans eggs, not shipped but handed to me. from one lady and some jubb. chicks from another to be delivered. Oh well, there are some yrs. that are hard on everyone. I lost a 98 yr. old lady in my area. The was an inspiration. I will miss her spunk.

@crazyhen You withhold food for 24 hours, water only with organic ACV in it for pH, then you may add a little plain, no sugar yogurt the next day, then the 3rd day she may have a little scrambled egg. All the while, you do massage the crop gently, never pushing upward. That is sour crop treatment. You can, instead of ACV, use 1/8 tsp acidified copper sulfate powder in one gallon of water, changed daily. I never try to empty a soured crop after my own experiences with it.

Cyn, the fabric they are using in these new chicken Sloggers reminded me a little of your beloved rooster tribute fabric you made your bed runner out of.

I might have a buy a pair of these just because they are so darn cute. I have 2 pair of Bogs but my neighbor let me try on her Sloggers the other day and they were so comfortable. The inside felt like an athletic shoe.

CHICKEN SLOGGERS - "How It's Made"

Cyn, the fabric they are using in these new chicken Sloggers reminded me a little of your beloved rooster tribute fabric you made your bed runner out of.

I might have a buy a pair of these just because they are so darn cute. I have 2 pair of Bogs but my neighbor let me try on her Sloggers the other day and they were so comfortable. The inside felt like an athletic shoe.

CHICKEN SLOGGERS - "How It's Made"

I had no idea what a "slogger" was, lol. I'm not up on all that stuff, I guess. Remember, I live in a bubble on a mountain and don't buy much stuff. My "sloggers" are my old pair of Dr. Scholl's running shoes. We call them "chicken shoes" around these parts.
tongue.png

Speaking of the rooster fabric, I have been trying to work on that bed runner today. Started machine quilting the first block, hated the look, pulled it all out. So, I did quilt around the center squares with the machine with the yellow thread I got for it, but I think the other thread should be black, not yellow, just don't have good quality black here. And I don't know what kind of quilting to do, either. I am having a hard time ( and so is my machine) getting the hang of free motion quilting. Don't want to ruin my own bed runner.

Started the day by practicing free motion. Got frustrated. Went to hand quilting my Tennessee Waltz bed quilt I'm working on. My fingers went numb three different times, quit that. Pulled out the Masters of Mountain View bed runner to start on and I already told you how that is going. It's raining AGAIN! ACK! I'm so tired of squishing, sloshing and sliding. Maybe I should go back to bed. But even that didn't work well this morning. I heard Finn crying outside the bedroom window. He kept on and on and on. Thinking DH was in the livingroom and just didn't hear him, I yelled, "CAT WANTS IN!". Poor hubby was sound asleep right beside me and jumped out of his skin, LOL.

Last edited:
Oh oh sounds like one of Those days!
hugs.gif
Sometimes on a day like that it is just better to get up and walk away,watch a movie or surf the internet.

It is very blustery here today, washed my egg baskets and set them out to dry, and one has just disappeared. The chickens are so grateful to be out and not on snow anymore they are huddled in a corner of the pen regardless of the wind. Yesterday they helped me weed the still partially-frozen vegetable garden, feasting on worms and other bugs.

Do you use one of those circular free quilting feet? I was thinking about getting one, but not sure how they work.

Cute shoes, that sewing machine at the beginning was really cool - I'm sure expensive too.

Oh oh sounds like one of Those days!
hugs.gif
Sometimes on a day like that it is just better to get up and walk away,watch a movie or surf the internet.

It is very blustery here today, washed my egg baskets and set them out to dry, and one has just disappeared. The chickens are so grateful to be out and not on snow anymore they are huddled in a corner of the pen regardless of the wind. Yesterday they helped me weed the still partially-frozen vegetable garden, feasting on worms and other bugs.

Do you use one of those circular free quilting feet? I was thinking about getting one, but not sure how they work.

Cute shoes, that sewing machine at the beginning was really cool - I'm sure expensive too.

I'm not much of a movie fan. Generally, I hate all television on weekends. If I didn't have DH, I'd turn that stupid box off. I only watch one show on weekends, Revenge, and sounds like that is coming to a close.

Yes, I have a free motion foot and a walking foot. I am not giving up but today wasn't a great day. My machine is just not the best for quilting, though it's supposed to be made for it. Both feet came with it, for goodness sake, but it has the smallest harp space of most any machine out there, only about 5.5". I want one with 8-10". I just have to save money to buy one. And I'd rather not spend big bucks on a machine if I can't learn the skill to some degree first.

Here is my free motion foot that came with the machine. You just put it in place of the regular one, drop the feed dogs and quilt, but matching the speed of the machine (propelled by my foot pedal) to the speed I move the fabric around isn't all that easy. I'm getting a little better, but it's a slow process.

Back
Top Bottom