The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

I'm with you, Karen. It's about the dog's health, not your husband's feelings, especially if his feelings harm the dog. JMHO.
One of my Brahma hens was sitting a lot. I haven't seen an egg from her in a very long time (she's 6), but I checked her belly a couple of days ago and she has no bloating. I didn't think at the time to check her crop. Today, she sat, moved and sat some more so I grabbed Betsy and her crop is big and doughy. Those Brahmas have crop issues when they molt and she just molted or is still in molt, not sure. So, she has been in the hospital cage all day with water and no feed. My Dark Brahma hen, BJ, the head hen, has been going to the nest (actually, under the nests, on the floor, can't jump up there, apparently), sitting for long periods, no egg. This has happened many times over the past couple of months so not sure what is happening with her, but Betsy hasn't even acted like she wanted to lay, just hasn't done it. The crop issues are why I am not adding to the Brahmas any more. They are worse than my Blue Orps were in that regard. They eat the same food as everyone else does. I did change their feed recently to keep one with animal protein, but I doubt that's it. These crop issues have been going on since their very first molt. All my chickens eat the same feed but only the Brahmas have crop issues.
Your Brahma may just need a crop message every day or night. I've had a few like that.

Of all things, my hubs ended up in the ER with weakness and more. He tested + for Covid. Meanwhile I got a headcold congestion and a cough. So that's that. But I have a colonoscopy on Tuesday, maybe I should cancel.?? I'm supposed to get a maid visit on Monday. I guess I will cancel that. Cancelling my colonoscopy is so darn hard- I've been looking Forwward to that. That and the 2 days of fasting and taking that awful tasting stuff.
:lau. I wish I could do something not to need it. They will also scope my stomach because of the pain I get.

Your Brahma may just need a crop message every day or night. I've had a few like that.
She's had crop massages every day, twice a day, for two weeks now. Her crop is not impacted, but it won't fully empty yet. I do think she's slightly improved, though.
Of all things, my hubs ended up in the ER with weakness and more. He tested + for Covid. Meanwhile I got a headcold congestion and a cough. So that's that. But I have a colonoscopy on Tuesday, maybe I should cancel.?? I'm supposed to get a maid visit on Monday. I guess I will cancel that. Cancelling my colonoscopy is so darn hard- I've been looking Forwward to that. That and the 2 days of fasting and taking that awful tasting stuff.
:lau. I wish I could do something not to need it. They will also scope my stomach because of the pain I get.
Well, dang. I'd cancel, but that's me because of my experience with the only one I ever had and Tom's two experiences. Any excuse not to do that again! I will never have another colonoscopy, not ever. I threw up for 3 hours before mine from that disgusting drink, told them they would not find a thing and they didn't, clean as a whistle. But the prep about killed me. Tom had two bad ones and the second one put him in the hospital so he won't have another one, either. I've read some bad stuff about that test. I am fully convinced that many of these tests are the cause of serious issues down the road. JMHO. And I won't even test for the CV, either, even if I ever think I have it, but I haven't had it or any symptoms of anything. In fact, I haven't been sick in 25 years, though, so I don't expect to get it, but if I do, I'll just follow the protocols I know about-many things that I'd take, I already take on a daily basis-and I'd stay away from people (as if I ever encounter many as it is, being the hermit that I am). Everybody has to decide that stuff for themselves, though.
I'm pretty down on the medical profession as a whole at the moment from what I've seen over the past two years, especially. There are exceptions, of course. I sure needed a surgeon when the tree fell on me and I got a really great one, one who holds patents on surgical equipment and stuff like that-we sure can't put hardware in our own limbs, can we? I'm ornery, though, as he would probably tell you, LOL. I hope your hubs feels better soon. Didn't you used to be a nurse, Karen? I bet you were a good one, knowing you. I remember you sent me a couple of suture kits back when I was doing crop surgeries here and there. I think I still have one of them, in fact.

I have a dilemma. I had my 1st horse for 20 years. I've had my current horse for 17 years. It's been tough to get feed and hay and put it away. I have made changes to make things easier like 150 gallon heated trough. Carrying 10 gallons a day back rhere was horribly hard. No matter what, my DD says i can't take care of her and she refuses to. No mention of my attachment to the horse, or horses over 37 years. It's all about her (no surprise). My first horse was attached to me. This mare is not. So Either I need to find a retirement, or sell her or offer free lease (I keep ownership). There is no way around it. I think any animal is a commitment for their life in some way - to me. I never thought it would come to this but life was interrupted by an ailment and the meds used - side effects.

My chickens are still the joys in my life. Half of them need to be held daily if only for a few minutes- and no treats involved. My silkies are sweet, and my BR's need to cause problems... like always finding a space in the fence, or pecking the polish poofs, or finding anything I left out, gauze, potting soil, haha. Something has to keep me on my toes!

Last edited:
Well hubs has been in bed for 3-4 days now , can barely walk, puking, can't eat. And me- I just tested + for Covid. So we are quarantined. I have a mega head cold, sore throat, limited chores due to lack of energy. So I think what I see is the difference in age..Hubs is 78. I'm 63. Maybe there's something to age in r/t Covid symptoms. The hospital stated he also had pneumonia. And sent him home with nothing. He finally got a hold of his doc and got a load of scripts-I can't even look to see what they are. I cancelled the maid and the "oscopies". I do need the colonoscopy and also an oscopy down my throat into my stomach. To figure out why i get these severe pains every 2 weeks or so.

She's had crop massages every day, twice a day, for two weeks now. Her crop is not impacted, but it won't fully empty yet. I do think she's slightly improved, though.

Well, dang. I'd cancel, but that's me because of my experience with the only one I ever had and Tom's two experiences. Any excuse not to do that again! I will never have another colonoscopy, not ever. I threw up for 3 hours before mine from that disgusting drink, told them they would not find a thing and they didn't, clean as a whistle. But the prep about killed me. Tom had two bad ones and the second one put him in the hospital so he won't have another one, either. I've read some bad stuff about that test. I am fully convinced that many of these tests are the cause of serious issues down the road. JMHO. And I won't even test for the CV, either, even if I ever think I have it, but I haven't had it or any symptoms of anything. In fact, I haven't been sick in 25 years, though, so I don't expect to get it, but if I do, I'll just follow the protocols I know about-many things that I'd take, I already take on a daily basis-and I'd stay away from people (as if I ever encounter many as it is, being the hermit that I am). Everybody has to decide that stuff for themselves, though.
I'm pretty down on the medical profession as a whole at the moment from what I've seen over the past two years, especially. There are exceptions, of course. I sure needed a surgeon when the tree fell on me and I got a really great one, one who holds patents on surgical equipment and stuff like that-we sure can't put hardware in our own limbs, can we? I'm ornery, though, as he would probably tell you, LOL. I hope your hubs feels better soon. Didn't you used to be a nurse, Karen? I bet you were a good one, knowing you. I remember you sent me a couple of suture kits back when I was doing crop surgeries here and there. I think I still have one of them, in fact.
Good for you in avoiding people's bugs! I'd just like to add not letting anyone breathe on you, and most important- never ever ever touch any part of your face unless hands are washed or disinfected first. After what I've seen over 20 years most viral spread is due to touching some surface after an infected person touched it , then touching your face. Especially in supermarkets where everything gets touched by everyone.

I strongly believe that masks do work-not the way people think. They work because they keep your hands off your face!!!

Cynthia, it gave me great pleasure in being able to help you any way I could because of everything you have done for others--like your support, education, and whatever you could do for someone , and so much of what you video post as "a day in the life of" helps people realize that they are not crazy, LOLOLOLO!

I am glad that at least me and Getaclue have a chance to support you! Frequently.

seminolewind, I'm being held together with meds. That'll work until I get to my oncologist on Wed. I have to admit, the final doctor I saw at the hospital was NOT stingy with the meds, and refills.

Your husband's case is not the first I've heard of that they were diagnosed with pneumonia, but due to a positive covid test, were given nothing to treat the pneumonia. It's insane. With, or without covid, they should be treating the pneumonia. I'm glad his doctor is addressing it.

The first time we had covid here, it knocked us on our butts. We got the alpha strain before it even became official about covid. It ran it's course, but towards the very tail end of it, my daughter and I developed respiratory issues. Due to me having occasional asthma, I had all the things on hand that we needed to deal with it. 2 days after we began dealing with the respiratory issues, and we turned the corner, so to speak. Breathing returned to normal.

The second time we got covid, it was a breeze (Dh tested positive). No major problems whatsoever, with any of us. The third time (Dd #1 tested positive), if it weren't for the test, we wouldn't have even known we had it.

Can't your daughter take care of your horse for the couple weeks it will take for you to get over this? Could you buy enough hoses to get water to it, without having to haul it? Maybe even get enough pvc over time, and a spigot, then rent a trencher to put it all in neatly, so you would have water out there. Could you put a few big metal garbage cans just outside the pasture, so the horse can't knock them over, but you wouldn't have to constantly haul feed, and hay? It just seems a shame that at this late stage of things, you'd have to get rid of your horse. BUT I do understand that "you gotta do what you gotta do", as the kids say.

After what I've seen over 20 years most viral spread is due to touching some surface after an infected person touched it , then touching your face. Especially in supermarkets where everything gets touched by everyone.
I sort of have the opposite attitude about germ exposure, Karen. I do wash my hands, not religiously, but I do after I go to Walmart, about the only place I ever go. I have never worn a mask, not even in hospitals and medical centers. I don't avoid germs because immune systems must be exercised to learn and grow and be healthy, as we both know. Of course, I am not immunocompromised in the first place; those folks should take all the precautions they feel necessary, but the rest really ought to go about their business not afraid of everything. JMHO. That's why we exposed our kids to stuff on purpose back in the day, remember? It's why my kids had no idea what hand sanitizer even was, while my friend slathered her kid with it every time I turned around and that girl was always sick. Our immune systems have become weak because of germophobia, the pattern of a shot and drug for every ailment rather than treating the cause, changing the diet, getting fresh air and sunshine, etc. Now, they are over-vaccinating these kids and pretty much destroying their miraculous immune systems, feeding them junk food and fast food, never cooking at home, etc. And for the sake of all that's holy, someone open a window once in awhile! That is a pet peeve of mine, the closed systems we have in homes now. I think recirculated air in closed systems is at fault for a lot of respiratory stuff we're seeing. I haven't been sick in 25 years, never had the flu (or the flu vax) and that's the way I stay healthy-fresh air, sunshine, natural exercise, no vaccines of any kind other than maybe tetanus (the one without whooping cough in it), eating high protein/low carb and of course a lot of our own home grown pesticide and chemical fertilizer-free food. Yeah, gonna dismantle that soapbox now, LOL.
Karen, I always wanted to help on BYC, and for many years, I did. But as the membership and the attitude changed, I shrank from many parts of the forum into my own threads. I started my YouTube channel in order to help and encourage folks and I don't hide my mistakes in gardening or chickens, try to keep it real. I'm no guru, though obviously, some really relish that status here, often misleading, the blind leading the blind. I'm glad you've been a huge part of my BYC life all these years...and it's been a very long time! Cheryl and Mary and Lisa, too.

Back
Top Bottom